Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Three is still a baby, but four is a big girl.


Four years ago yesterday, I started a bow collection. Seriously. I ordered bows on-line from my hospital bed. It was seven months before Meredith had enough hair to use them, but I was ready.
Meredith started her day with our traditional birthday pancake breakfast. She always requests blueberry and sprinkles. Lucky for Meredith, blueberries must be in season in Chile in January because they’re almost always on sale the week of her birthday. I don’t buy anything that isn’t on sale. Except toilet paper.
On your birthday, you also get a commemorative number-shaped pancake. My final thought before falling asleep Monday night was, “Surely a “4” will be easier to make than a “3” was. I hope the batter doesn’t run.” I took a break from drifting off to sleep worried about the economy.

As you can see, my "3" was much better. I don't know what my problem was. Maybe the fact that we were 15 minutes behind schedule. Being late always stressed me out completely.

Before leaving for preschool, I stamped out circular-shaped Rice Krispie-Fruity Pebbles treats. I had an indentation on my palm from the biscuit cutter that lasted until noon.

Meredith is excited about her outfits on any given day, but this one thrilled her particullarly. She thought it was "the perfect birthday sweater!"
After preschool, Meredith and I headed to our favorite tea room for lunch, only to find it is closed until March. There’s a new tea room in town, but it looked a little high brow for a four year old and I was wearing jeans. I decided I wasn’t going to disappoint her, and the ladies from the Historical Society might like my jeans paired with patent loafers and pearls. I’m so glad we went. The hostesses were incredibly nice and the owner brought Meredith the teacup from which she drank as a child at her grandmother’s. I thought I was going to have to order a cocktail to get over the anxiety of watching a four-year-old who constantly talks with her hands drink Sprite out of the teacup. It was a precarious situation.
When we finished lunch, we went to get a pedicure. Meredith’s first request was a trip to the spa. We compromised on a pedicure at a Vietnamese place. I only mention this because it makes me crazy that they all speak English one minute and then speak to each other in Vietnamese. For all I know they’re discussing the market or Britney Spears, but I can’t help but feel as thought they’re discussing my complexion.

When we got there, I asked how much it would be for both of us to get a pedicure. A man told me it would be $50 for both of us. I told him while I didn’t expect him to make any special concessions, if I spent that much on pedicures, it would be bad for my marriage. He wouldn’t let us leave and ended up giving us two pedicures for $35. Welcome to the new economy. We had a great time and both came home with bubblegum pink sparkly toes. Meredith’s choice.

After a three hour nap, Meredith was ready for dinner out. She changed restaurant choices four times, and finally settled on Bub’s Burgers. I had the best bowl of soup ever. Tomato-artichoke. It may have had a hint of cream, but I didn’t care. It was sooooo worth it.

I baked Meredith a cake so she would have candles to blow out after dinner. Her actual birthday party isn’t until next week. I just couldn’t get it together this year. So, Meredith’s real cake will be for her party. She has her heart set on a one of those Barbie cakes where Barbie’s torso sticks out the top and you slice and eat her skirt. Kind of traumatic if you ask me, but Merdi has her heart set on one.

After cake and presents, we all got to bed later than normal. It turned out to be fine when we woke up to 8 or 9 inches of snow. We don’t have school today. Hooray! AND for the first time ever, Brandon is home during a significant snowfall and I don’t have to shovel or call the plow service. We played out in the snow until I couldn’t feel my face. I’ll post those pictures tomorrow.

I can’t believe how fast the last four years have flown by. What scares me is I realize the next four will probably go by even faster and the four after that will seem like a blink. While we were getting pedicures, Meredith made me promise we’d always get pedicures on her birthday. “Even when I’m 15.” I hope she keeps her promise.

*Allow me to add a disclaimer regarding today's photographs. In fear of not missing a single moment, I didn't pay much attention to my camera settings. I assure you Meredith is not jaundice, her mother just didn't adjust the white balance. If I had extra time to edit, I would, but here they are straight out of the camera....

1 comment:

Penny Pickles said...

happy belated birthday sweet merdi!!!