Monday, April 13, 2009

Mother of the Year!

Argh! For some reason, Blogger is not allowing me to arrange pictures. It's making me stick them all at the top, which is going to make the following story completely anti-climatic. There are bigger problems in the world, so bear with me while I sort this out.



While I was away in Atlanta, Brandon spent the weekend with the kids at my parents’ house in Nashville. They did all sorts of Easter related things and just made a lot of noise. My mom is totally fine with noise. She wasn’t when I was growing up. Maybe her hearing is starting to go.

Brandon worked from my parents’ house Monday and Tuesday and took the rest of the week off. So we just hung out and did our typical Nashville stuff. Tuesday evening, my parents took the kids to The Aquarium for dinner. Brandon and I took the opportunity to eat by ourselves and we did our Easter shopping.

When the kids came home they were wound like eight-day clocks. Meredith was running, slipped and caught herself with her wrist. She had a bump on her head and complained of a sore wrist. We iced both and she seemed fine. Nothing was swollen or bruised and Meredith had full range of motion in her wrist, hand, fingers, and arm. I didn’t think much of it.

On the way back to Indiana, we stopped at Mammoth Cave. I’ve successfully avoided touring Mammoth for the last four years. We always get there just a smidge late for the last tour, or it’s raining, or I’m feeling faint…We arrived in plenty of time for a tour, it was sunny, and no one was ill. Our tour of the world’s largest cave was every bit as thrilling as I’d anticipated. Mammoth Cave is 99.9% dry according to our overly enthusiastic guide. What does that mean? It means it’s a pretty boring cave. No stalactites, no dripping water, no slippery services, and no boats. Alex and Brandon seemed to like it and I’m off the hook for another few years.

On Friday, our neighbors had a spring party and had the kids over for Easter crafts, games, and cake. Lots of fun. Within five minutes of our arrival, Meredith slipped, fell, and reinjured her wrist. She brushed it off and I made a mental note to keep an eye on it. Again, no bruising, no swelling, and few complaints.

Sunday, of course the Easter Bunny stopped by and the kids had fun hunting eggs. They surprised me by working as a team and pointing out eggs to each other. I think Alex was less aggressive at home because our eggs traditionally don’t contain money. GramPam’s do and it was a reported death match egg hunt at her house. After the kids snapped out of their chocolate comas; we went to the country club of which our friend Scott is the general manager for brunch. Jill’s parents were in town too, and it’s always fun to see them. We came home after brunch and I parked it for the rest of the day and watched The Masters. Literally, I did nothing! I was so hoping Kenny Perry would win. Poor guy.

Meredith mentioned her wrist still hurt when I put her to bed last night. So, I decided enough was enough and called our pediatrician first thing this morning. By 10:00 a.m. we were in for an X-ray, “just to rule out a fracture.” By 11:00 a.m. we had an appointment with a pediatric orthopedic surgeon. Turns out, Meredith had not one, but two fractures. One is very, very tiny but the other is a sizable break. I felt HORRIBLE for not taking her sooner. Both physicians reassured me they would never have guessed she had a fracture based on her range of motion and her regular mobility. She is a tough nut!

I cannot tell you how excited she is about her hot pink cast. I’m sure the luster will wear off in a few days. We’re stuck with our new accessory for four weeks. It’s waterproof, which makes life a little easier, but dressing Meredith is going to be an exercise in patience. She’s very anxious for the world to see her cast, so here it is!

1 comment:

Penny Pickles said...

poor girl - but it suits her - tell her that if she gets bored annie will come and doodle all over her cast! the easter outfits were beautiful and for the record the pages DO put money in their eggs and it does up the ante! growing up my folks had either paper money, change, candy or notes. the notes weren't nice and were easily confused with eggs containing money. my dad would also participate, meaning what ever he got back he kept. i was literally thrown down stairs one year by my brother - it would get ugly and mother would just shake her head - i suppose that wasn't having the Easter spirit! ;o)