Tuesday, August 11, 2009

All right, I guess I was living in the past. Kelly informed me this morning this blog has become antiquated. The last thing I need is to have yet another thing I associate with age by the minute. So, here we go.

The first full week we were back from Hawaii, the kids and I repacked and headed to southern Illinois. My grandma kept the kids at her house, with the help of GramPam and Trophy while I went to Olney for our annual girls’ weekend.


Nana had so much fun with the kids and from all reports, they were well behaved. I think my family must have been drinking. The kids LOVE my grandma and it’s fun to see them devour her cooking much like I did as a tyke. If I lived with Nana, I’d weigh 400 lbs.

Last week was spent winding down, getting back on a schedule, and spending our last few precious days of summer at the pool.

OH…and I had a hair accessory party, which turned out to be really fun. Jill C.’s sister in law makes fabulous barrettes, headbands, etc. Jill came along for the ride which was a complete treat!

Yesterday was Alex’s last full day before school and he wanted to go to the King Tut exhibit at the Children’s Museum. Brandon didn’t fly out until today, and he was very excited to see the 4,000 year old stuff.

I don’t fully appreciate Egypt. I think of Egypt as hot, sandy, and full of animals I don’t like. I also believe it to be a hotbed of terrorism. Brandon has been dying to visit for years and I keep avoiding the trip. I thought the exhibit might buy me a few more years, until our frequent flyer miles expire.

Brandon loves all things Egypt and especially this fruit loop.

I can’t understand 80% of what he says and therefore don’t like to listen to him. Brandon likes him enough to part with $45 for a signed book. I was thankful he bought the book instead of the wretched signed hat he initially spotted.

Anyway, I suppose the exhibit is very interesting if you’re into that sort of thing. Once I’ve seen a dozen or so 4,000 year old statues of cats, I’m ready to move on. The kids quickly felt the same way. We parked it on a bench while Brandon read signs and Alex regretted his decision to forgo the pool.

Today was the first day of second grade for Alex. Weird! Weirder…I had a near panic attack thinking about Meredith starting kindergarten next fall. Alex once again has been blessed with an amazing teacher. God always takes great care of us with teacher selection. Mrs. Small is a peach! He was very excited to start school and by the minimalist report I was given at the end of the day, he enjoyed it.

Tonight is the one night of the year I really wish I didn’t have any responsibility. Jimmy Buffet is in town and the concert is 15 minutes from our house. They start talking about it on the morning news and I start getting jealous and wearing a lei around the house.

Jennifer and her family often come to the show and they’re there as I type…with their tiny parrot head, Caroline! It was a surprise for Caroline who loves Uncle Jimmy like you wouldn’t believe! We met them for dinner and I was so nervous my kiddos would let it slip. Turns out they had no idea they were even going to Buffet.

Pathetically, I sat in the Tahoe and listened to the show live on XM until the heat got the best of me. I cannot wait to talk to Caroline tomorrow and see what she thought about the surprise of her life!

No comments: