Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Meredith and I are having so much fun spending time just the two of us. This is Alex’s third year of being in school, but there’s something different about this year. Meredith can entertain herself while I shower, clean, or work on photography-related stuff. (Or, alright…check for “news” on Facebook!) She can spend hours dressing and undressing Barbie, writing letters, copying words anywhere she can find them, and drawing.

As I’ve mentioned, drawing is a big deal in our house right now. She goes through stacks of paper and I let her.

Here is some of her “work” over the last week or so. Now, I realize they aren’t Cassats, but not bad for a four year old with half of my DNA.

I call this one, Weight Watchers Butterfly:
This is my personal favorite! It's a portrait of me. I asked what the circle above my head was and Meredith said, "Oh! That's your brain! I couldn't figure out how to get it inside your head. And I'm sorry you have black teeth. I don't have a white marker."

After I finish all of the stuff that has to be done each day, we run errands, read, get ice cream, have lunch out, go the park…whatever we feel like doing together completely by ourselves. I’m completely aware of this fleeting time, so I’m determined to make the most of it.

Monday, we were making chocolate chip cookies and Meredith was chattering away. I stopped what I was doing, crouched down to eye level with Merdi and said, “You know, I really wish you could be four forever. This is such a fun age and I enjoy being with you so much. I’m really going to miss you next year. I wish I could freeze you at this age.”

Meredith looked at me and said, “WHAT?! You gotta be kiddin’ me! Four is a tewibble year! I spwit open my chin, broke my arm, and knocked out a tooth! I can’t wait to turn five!”

I guess when you think of it from Meredith’s stand point it has been a rough year. However, I’m now having every medical procedure or test I’ve ever thought about doing since we’ve easily met our deductible for the year.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I'll come take Merediths place next year! You guys are having a great time it sounds...chocolate chip cookies, ice cream, lunch out...you can't beat that.

michelleb said...

You need to frame some of her artwork! It can be your ever-changing gallery for your walls.