Monday, November 16, 2009

Farm hand!

Meredith had her first “Imagination Destination” day at pre-school on Friday. It’s actually the second one of the year. The first was camping day and Meredith informed her teachers she wouldn’t be there because she “got a better offer.” We were in Chicago. I tend to agree, but I wouldn’t publically declare it.
Friday was “a day at the farm.” The classroom was completely transformed into a farm. The floor was covered in straw--and corn in the areas anywhere near sensory stations that included corn. There were sunflowers everywhere. Bales of straw dotted a wooden fence. Behind the fence was a pretend cow the kids could actually milk. There was a chicken coup, complete with roosting hens and their eggs.
There was a fruit and vegetable stand where the farmers could sell their crops. The produce was real. I know this because I kicked an errant onion half way across the room. One of the hazards of wearing a size 10 shoe...

The farm’s kitchen was stalked with fresh bread dough and rolling pins, making it smell just like I expect a kitchen that feeds farm hands to smell. The dough looked decidedly different between drop off and pick up.

Even after experiencing this class with Alex three years ago, I’m still in awe of what these women do. Next week is another imagination destination and where they find the energy to clean up the last one and move onto another is beyond me.

For movie night, Alex chose a Scooby Doo movie. Something about how the “gang” originally got together. I forgot Scooby Doo usually has a ghost or two. Meredith did fine, but Alex was a nervous wreck most of the movie. Meredith told me Saturday morning that she was scared in the night, but didn’t want to yell for me because I’m always “such a grouch” when she wakes me in the night. Wow!

Alex’s school had their first pancake breakfast Saturday. It was both a fundraiser and a kick-off for the book fair. I don’t really care what it was, it got my family up, dressed, and out of the house by 8:30 a.m. I used the momentum and finally put away six loads of laundry that lived on the island in the kitchen for two days. Brandon fiddled around with Christmas lights all day. I have no idea what he accomplished, but he claimed something about researching stuff on line so we don’t repeatedly trip the circuits this season.

Sunday morning, Jeremy and Amanda Williams came over for breakfast. They asked us to brunch, but Amanda wanted to show Jeremy some canvas prints I have. I thought it would be just as much fun to have waffles in our pj’s. Jeremy made “beermosas,” which I’d never been introduced to before and probably shouldn’t have been. Jill C., you would like them…Orangina mixed with a light beer! They sound terrible, but there not, I promise you. Sort of like a less sweet mimosa.

Brandon spent the rest of the weekend hanging Christmas lights. The sight of the lights, threw me into periholiday baking mode. The kids and I made a quick treat to have on hand for drop by company. The kind of company who always comes when my house is at its worst; I hope to distract them with baked goods.

Sunday night we watched the Colts game!!! I can’t say enough about the intensity of the game. That being said, I dozed off when it looked like we were tanking. I should know Peyton and Reggie better than that. Woo Hoo!!!! I try to be a good sport, so I root for my team and not against the other. Well, Bill Belichick is hard not to root against. When he took off his headset right after Indy scored in the final seconds and barely touched Jim Caldwell’s hand as he stormed off the field; I wanted to choke him with his cropped sweatshirt.

I have three sessions to work on today, a field trip, a client meeting, and a column due tomorrow. Thursday I have “New Moon” baking to do with Annie. Friday, I’m working the book fair at Alex’s school. Good thing I’m a stay at home mom. Ha!

1 comment:

michelleb said...

Beermosas sound interesting...may have to hit Jeremy up for that recipe! I am in awe over the farm-day pics!! Amazing! I would love to do something like that in my classroom - but wouldn't know where to start! Maybe some day. Thanks for sharing!