Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Do they still sell "NO FEAR" T-shirts?...


Fearless.

Meredith is completely fearless. This can be a great thing or an awful thing, depending on the circumstance.

After knocking her tooth out the day before, Meredith was still raring to go to the pool first thing Tuesday morning. Her “best friend evaaah,” JoEllen was coming to swim. She was livid when she overheard me tell JoEllen’s mom that Meredith was out a tooth. “Mooooom! I wanted to surprise her!”


On the way to the pool, we decided swimming was fine, but going down the slide might not be the best idea. Everyone was in agreement. Meredith even stated she wouldn't be going down the slide until she had permanent teeth.

Fifteen minutes after we got in the pool, Merdi climbed out and put on her wings. She hasn’t willingly worn wings since she learned to “swim.” 30 seconds later, I heard a splash and up came Meredith from the bottom of the pool. She had gone down the slide.

The lifeguard, who witnessed our emergency exit the day prior, shook his head and said, “Mrs. Webber, that girl is fearless! I think it’s AWESOME!” The other, wiser lifeguard said, “What are you going to do once she’s in high school?!” I don’t know. I really don’t.

I said, “Meredith, I thought we weren’t going to go down the slide for awhile.” She looked at me, shrugged her shoulders and said, “Well, I needed to know I wasn’t afraid. Anyway, it was da steps that did me in; not the swide.” I asked her why she didn’t discuss it with me first and she spoke the truth, “I fought you’d probwy fweak out!”

She thought right.

No comments: