Thursday, July 23, 2009

Home again, without the jiggity jig...


When I said I didn’t want to leave Maui, I wasn’t kidding. I stepped onto the balcony one last time before we left and started crying. Big heaving sobs. I really wanted to follow Meredith’s advice. She hatched several plans to avoid leaving the island. She wanted to stay worse than John Locke!

Here were her ideas:

1.) The next time we go to the grocery store, I’m going to stay there and you won’t be able to find me.

2.) I’m going to hide behind a palm tree…a BIG palm tree.

3.) When Dad is walking onto the plane, I’m going to walk behind him. When he gets on the plane, I’m just going to stop walking.

All good ideas, but we forced Meredith to pack just like the rest of us.

We were very, very tired when we got home. I tried to adhere pretty much to my regular schedule, so I stayed up to do laundry until 10 p.m. The kids went to bed at 7:45. Alex was so deliriously tired, he screamed near obscenities at me until falling asleep en-rant. Meredith slept until 11:00 a.m. and Brandon went to bed at 6:30 p.m. to “take a rest” and slept a solid 15 hours.
Sadly, I’m now suffering from P.V.L.S. Otherwise known as “post vacation letdown syndrome.” I bet I’ll qualify for assistance under Obama’s new health plan.

I am going through millions of photos. I shot them all in a ridiculously large format that requires me to do a bunch of jargonny stuff to them before I can share them with you. However, I am adding a couple just so you can feel sorry for me having been pulled out of my element! It's very, very sad.


I know how incredibly lucky we are to go on trips like these. I realize our kids are experiencing fantastic things I didn’t even know existed until I was two decades older than them. I appreciate every bit of it. I just wish we could be on permanent vacation. Is that too much to ask?

No comments: