Monday, March 23, 2009

Time travel


I love my husband. I really do. What I do not love is his indifference when it comes to schedules. When it comes to travel and work and meetings and conference calls, Brandon never misses a beat. He’s always there. On time. More than one person has pointed out to me that because Brandon’s professional life is scheduled down to the minute, he needs a break. I need more patience, because I like to plan.

Alex had early dismissal from school on Friday. Parent teacher conferences would allow us to get on the road three hours early for a much-anticipated trip to visit the Burgins. Perfect! Brandon assured me he would be able to leave around 1:00 p.m.

Fifteen minutes prior to Alex stepping off the bus, Meredith fell of a step stool and split open her chin. I ignored the sweat beads that always show up on my forehead when we start to run late and took Meredith to urgent care for stitches. Woo Hoo, we didn’t need stitches, special glue did the trick. Great! No scar and we’ll leave almost on time.

I called Kelly with the news we would leave a little later than anticipated, but wouldn’t be that late.

2:00 p.m. rolled around and I was pantomiming to Brandon through the glass doors of his office. (He regrets requesting those doors.) He was tangled in a web of calls trying to figure out where his current project was taking him the following week. Ugh. It didn’t look good. Alex wrote him a note that read: "How longer?"

The three extra hours evaporated, and we left at the regularly scheduled time of 4:30 p.m. Don’t get me wrong. I’m very, very, very thankful Brandon’s job hasn’t fallen to the economy. I’m thankful work prevented us from leaving on time. I just need to convince my tightly-wound self that the world won’t shatter if we show up late now and again.

We finally pulled into the Burgin’s driveway a little past 9:00 p.m. our time. The kids were so excited to see each other! I have no idea what time they actually went to bed. I do know both of our kids were up pretty close to their regular waking times. They were rays of sunshine all day, let me tell you.

We had a fun and very rowdy visit with the Burgins.
Poor sweet Maya has no idea what she’s in for. I don’t know how she slept a wink with deer calls, games of tag, and light saber battles going on simultaneously around her. Not to mention man handling by the Webber kids every chance they had.
Meredith paid little attention to Maya until shortly before we left. Then, she wanted to take her home. Alex always loves babies, but he was far more concerned about guarding his Nintendo DS. We left the Burgins’ a little before noon because, bless their souls, more company was on the way.

It will come as no surprise, that I was excited to visit the Abraham Lincoln Museum. I hadn’t been to Springfield since our 8th grade class trip. No, actually that’s not true. I’ve been to Republican Day at the state fair with my grandparents a few times since. But we were there to shake hands and visit the butter cow. Anyway, Jill C. and Annie both told me we’d love the museum. It is really neat and I cracked up at Meredith who, like a human brochure, told us repeatedly she was done eating and wanted to go “explore and discover.” We missed what I’ve since heard is the neatest thing at the museum, the holographic Abe Lincoln.

Similar to Disney, you exit the museum through the gift shop. I’m very anti-gift shop because I come from a long line of people who are anti-souvenir. Growing up, I knew better than to ask for a Six Flags t-shirt and no one collected spoons or salt and pepper shakers. It was “junk we didn’t need.” As an adult, I stand in complete agreement. I’ve been known to get carried away at the Christmas store in Downtown Disney, but aside from that…I did however, buy a giant penny on our 8th grade class trip in the capitol gift shop and it must have made an impression. I mentioned it to the kids and guess what we found in Abe’s gift store?! It wasn’t spendable, so Alex dismissed it as ridiculous. Meredith thought it was great. Alex chose a wooden pop gun, so that made for a jarring ride home. Meredith held her penny the entire trip. Alex pointed out it was silly to spend $4 on a penny and that by the way, it wasn’t spendable. Meredith said, “Yeah, well I sure am happy with it!”

We ate a light lunch because I was wearing jeans and we were stopping at The Beef House for dinner on the way home. This restaurant is on the way between Bradley and Carmel, so Brandon and I used to stop there on the way to visit him parents. I’m not a huge meat eater, but the salad bar is unbelievable and the rolls and homemade jams are to die for. I knew Alex would go nuts over the salad bar and sure enough he did. It is hilarious to watch him artfully arrange shredded carrots over lettuce. Meredith ate a roll and then stuck French fries into her hamburger. We left after a lack of sleep induced meltdown started when Alex asked Meredith to hold one end of a rubber band and let go of his end with a snap. It was in retaliation for something Meredith did, and three of us laughed. Meredith did not.

We got home around 7:30 p.m. The kids went to bed and slept until nearly 8:00 a.m., which is something of a record. Alex and Meredith both had busy Sundays but after rambling this long, I’ll do you a favor and save it for tomorrow.

No comments: