Tuesday, March 24, 2009

We can't keep a horse in the garage.

You know how every parenting magazine discusses the importance of not over-scheduling your children? The articles always talk about parents who push their kids into every activity in order to one up the neighbor’s kid. I’m not one of those parents, but I think Meredith would over schedule herself with glee if we allowed it.

This is our second year in ballet and tap. I don’t see this interest ending anytime soon, and I am more than fine with that. Meredith was too young for soccer this year, or she would be running up and down the field every Saturday. Alex is in gymnastics and she watches with envy during every lesson. I have a long-standing hope that Meredith will take an interest in Irish step-dancing and beg for lessons.

Meredith’s interests are deep, wide, time-intensive, ever-growing, and expensive. I may need to go back to work just to fund extra curricular activities.

We have a one-activity-at-a-time rule in our house; at least for the time being. So, both of the kids are pretty choosy about what they do. Meredith seemed fairly content with her current ballet/tap commitment until Sunday.

Sunday afternoon, Meredith went to her friend Luci’s birthday party. My Little Pony is back, which cracks me up and Meredith, Luci, and their mutual friend Ava really love to play with their ponies. So, it came as no surprise that Luci was having a My Little Pony party. What was somewhat of a surprise was the party was at a pony farm. We’ve been to just about every type of birthday party the preschool set can have, and this was a new one. Meredith was on cloud nine and talked about the party for weeks.

She was so excited about the prospect of riding a horse until I told her she would have to wear pants. She was fine with that but wanted…and I’m not exaggerating in any way…khaki jodhpurs, a white blouse, and a velvet riding hat. I waited for her to ask about riding boots, but oh no, she thought maybe she “could squeeze my foot into my pink cowgirl boots.” They are two sizes too small. Meredith made do with a pair of leggings and a sparkly shirt.


The girls’ names were drawn from a hat, and Merdi was second to last to ride. Bless her heart, she was very patient. When it was her turn, she shot forward, helmet on, and swung her leg over the left side of the horse like an old pro. I heard the trainer her ask her if she’d like to trot. I told her I knew she’d be fine, and off she went. Her form was a little loose, but she was grinning from ear to ear. I braced myself for the inevitable.

Meredith was off the horse for 17 seconds before she said, “Guess what Mom? That lady told me I can sign up for riding lessons!”

The women are smiling because they know I'm going to wind up writing them enough checks to feed Molly the Pony for the rest of her life.

No comments: