Monday, March 17, 2008

Anything miniature is cute

One would never know I am a Weight Watcher based on the number of posts I do that mention food. I can’t help it. I love everything about food, which is probably why I’m in Weight Watchers.

There are foods I’m less enthusiastic about. I’m truly not that big of a dessert eater. I don’t really like cake. Pie, I love, but I’m not a cake eater. I have a thing for cupcakes though, mainly because they are so cute. I read about a bakery in Indy that specializes in cupcakes. As we were driving downtown once, I saw it and made a mental note to bring the kids at some point. Today was the day.

The place is called The Flying Cupcake and may be the sweetest little bakery I’ve ever been in. I’ve not been in many, but this one is beyond description. I’ve often thought I was born twenty six years later than I should have been. I’m a 50’s girl at heart, maybe even 40’s. This bakery is straight out of that era. I can’t really explain it and pictures won’t do it justice. There is milk glass everywhere, bright oil-cloth covers the vintage tables, and all the plastic cupcake toppers are straight out of June Cleaver’s kitchen. The place has a worn look that June wouldn't approve of, but it's very retro shabby chic.


Instead of Soup De Jour, they offer Cupcakes De Jour, and you can pick from several flavors. Then, they let kids pick a topper. Alex picked an ice cream cone, and the woman chose a ballerina for Meredith, go figure. I wasn’t going to have one, but they have red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing. I’m not much of a cake eater, but come on?! Worth every point.




I ran outside to see if I could catch some non-posed shots of the kids. This is through glass and the colors are still fun.

No comments: