Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Can you file a workman’s compensation claim for an on-the-job injury as a mother?

This morning, I stepped on a purple plastic butterfly ring. It doesn’t sound like much, but let me tell you, it hurt. The kind of hurt that makes me mutter obscenities under my breath. (At least for the most part. A few may have been audible.) My mom used to put jacks under my grandpa’s chair and then con him into standing up quickly. I have a new found empathy for him.

After my recovery, we picked up Alex from school and headed to The Museum once again. The kids had a Dr. Seuss class today. They seemed to have fun and they made Cat in the Hat hats covered in glitter.

On the drive home, Alex started belly laughing, which he rarely does. He was laughing so hard he could hardly talk and Meredith was incensed. She started yelling, “STOP IT!!! STOP LAUGHING AT ME! I CAN’T HELP IT!!! MOM! BRUSH IT OFF!! GET IT OFF ME!!” I turned around and Meredith was covered--and I mean covered--in glitter from her eyebrows to her shoes. It was funny. I couldn’t help laughing and that did little to soothe Meredith’s soul. We drove to the gas station in chaos.

Today’s class marked the last museum class Alex is eligible to attend. He’s too old, and that makes me sad. I’m excited for him to have new experiences, but it’s another reminder how quickly time passes. Two years ago, I dropped him off and worried he’d be lonely, wondered if he’d find a buddy; hoped he remembered to go the bathroom. I know it’s very cliché, but it really does seem like yesterday.

When we came home all I wanted to do was take a nap. I was so tired for some reason. Maybe it was from my walk down memory lane. The kids were dying to play outside and since it was 60 degrees today and will be in the 40’s tomorrow I knew there really was no choice. Our friends the Staperts came over and the kids ran around the yard and played. They left when Meredith started throwing chalk and Alex threatened to cut down a tree and make it land on me after I refused to help him cross the monkey bars for the 18th time. It’s early to bed tonight for all of us.

Oh, I almost forgot one of the funnier moments in our day. While we were waiting for the bus to pick up Alex, we were playing Eye Spy. Alex spied something green. Meredith said, “Oh, I know! Mucus is green!” The girl has seen one too many Mucinex commercials. Fortunately for you, I don’t have a picture to share.

No comments: