Monday, March 3, 2008

Surely, Spring will be here soon...

We were spoiled yesterday. The weather was warm. It wasn’t all that sunny, but it was warm enough to take a bike ride without your teeth chattering. To escape the house of illness, that’s exactly what the kids and I did. Of course, I had to get the bikes down, hook up the trailer, and air up the pancake tires. Then we had to dig out helmets and dust them off before anyone would agree to putting them on their heads. Even with all the “work” it was so nice to be able to get some fresh air.

The thing about living in the Midwest in the winter is it’s easy to forget you have neighbors until the first warm day. Then everyone comes filing out of their garages carrying out every ride on vehicle they own and buckets of sidewalk chalk. All this for 60 degrees, but hey, we’ll take it.

Naturally, it rained all day today and we’re supposed to get another wintry mix by tomorrow. I just got a message about the potential for a 2 hour school delay in the morning. The last time I checked, no one in our school lived on a gravel road. Pansies.

Meredith and I went to the library this morning for Toddler Tales. The leader went to the front of the room, gave her familiar “good morning” speech, and then started to tell the children about today’s theme. Meredith stood up, and announced, “I have a brudder named Alex. He’s five!!!! I’m three, but I used to be two…” I had to shut her down then. I have no idea what she would have disclosed next had I let her ramble on.

Alex went to the same story hour for two years, and said six words, and those were forced. He had a not-so-secret crush on Miss Jennifer, the leader and turned beet (or is it beat? That conjures a bad image, I’ll stick with beet) red anytime she so much as looked in his direction.

After that Meredith and I made a trip to the appliance repair store to pick up the part my ailing washer needs. It must happen often, because the parts guy knew exactly what I needed and where they were kept. Now, I just have to wait for Brandon to come home and put the washer back together on Friday. I think God is teaching me lessons in frugality, appreciation, and patience all in one act. It did occur to me I could use this as a golden excuse to shop.

The rest of the day was so gloomy, I told the kids we’d have a Movie Monday! Meaning, they could watch a movie and I’d sit next to them and read. If I make it sound like a party, by creating some nonsense theme, they are completely game for anything.

We’re off to ballet now, and I can’t think of anything better to brighten the day.

1 comment:

A. Reed said...

Our weather was nice yesterday too. We definetly have cabin fever. We have had 13 snow days this school year and more snow is coming.