Thursday, September 10, 2009

A cup of sugar

When we moved into our house a couple of years ago, a fun family lived right behind us. It took awhile for our kids to warm to each other, but they were really nice neighbors. Before our sod was even laid, they moved. I remember saying, “Please don’t tell me you just received your tax assessment and decided to sell.”

That wasn’t the case. They built a new house on our street. Their old house sat lonely and empty. They had the yard kept immaculately and I didn’t worry about walking around in my pajamas without any window coverings.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw what looked to be an inspector walking around the perimeter of their old house with a clipboard. Did it sell?!

To our delight, two little blond girls came bounding out the backdoor and started swinging on the fabulous playset that sat idle for eighteen months. Meredith and the littlest one were instant friends. The kids confirmed that the house did sell and we were getting new neighbors.

Later that evening, I walked over to their backyard when I heard Meredith say, “Hey Lily! Let’s skip rocks in your pond!” I started running when I heard Lily say, “My dad says not to do that, it could kill the coy!!!”

I introduced myself to the mom while in my bare feet. She seems really nice and they moved from our old neighborhood, and even lived in the same model of home we did. Small world.

The kids have been back and forth on each others swingsets for the past few days. Their movers came yesterday, so I need to start baking. We officially have new neighbors…and we like them!

No comments: