Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Chicken Nuggets and Green Beans

It never occurred to me how exciting chicken nuggets and green beans could be. We’ve discussed chicken nuggets and green beans since last Friday.

This may come as a surprise to those of you who live in modern societies, but here in Indiana most of our kids still attend half day kindergarten. Not all, but most. In fact, kindergarten isn’t even required. I was completely shocked by that revelation, but secretly comforted when I started to freak out about sending Alex off to school. Not that I would ever consider not sending him to kindergarten.

Alex attends school a whopping two hours and 35 minutes a day. Settling everyone down takes 30 minutes alone and when you factor in stations and recess, there certainly isn’t time for lunch. Nor would a lunch hour be necessary for an 11:15 dismissal. BUT, today-- in preparation for first grade--the kindergarteners are eating lunch at school. From his level of excitement you would think Alex had a lunch reservation at Spago.

The note home said they could choose two sides in addition to their chicken nugget entrée and state-mandated green beans. Alex and I talked about making healthy choices. He assured me he knew what was healthful and what wasn’t. I believe him. He often questions my food choices and asks me why I haven’t been to Weight Watchers in weeks. I told him so long as he ate the green beans and chose one healthy side, he could choose one “fun” side. Dessert or whatever they offer in the cafeteria line these days! Alex was completely appalled. I won’t be surprised if he was the only kid without pudding, and an extra helping of green beans.

When we picked up Alex from school, he was down right chatty, which makes me think he must have blood sugar issues because normally it’s like riding home with a grizzly bear. In fact, he was in such a good mood; we drove right past our house and headed to the library. Meredith plucked a chapter book off the shelf, and Alex made the decision that Meredith is ready to start more in-depth reading material. He was in the stack telling her all about how she’s almost four and when he was four we read “Charlotte’s Web.” So, I let her get it. It’s called “Tutu Much Ballet” and the cover is pink. I’m sure that has nothing to do with her selection. War and Peace was checked out.

No comments: