Thursday, May 22, 2008

Due to the overwhelming response to yesterday’s “Guess Where Leslie Was,” contest, both entries will receive prizes. What do I mean by “both” entries you ask…I can hear you thinking, “Leslie’s lost it. There’s only one comment!” I did loose my mind. Long ago, but this has nothing to do with it. Sara decided to e-mail me instead. Because she and I talk at least once a day, she already knew where I was and was blatantly cheating. She’s very competitive and doesn’t care if the victory is easy. I can’t break her heart.

Brandon and I spent a long weekend in Savannah and on Hilton Head Island. We met up with these loons while we were there.

Here’s a recap:

Brandon and I were supposed to meet in Memphis Thursday night and fly to Savannah together. However, the plane I was on ran out of fuel after an extra ten minutes of circling and we landed and re-fueled in Little Rock, Arkansas. So, we all missed our connecting flights and I spent the night in a questionable Holiday Inn.

I was disappointed because I was on a mission to cross something off my life list. Many of you know I am a devout Paula Deen fan. I’ve wanted to go to her restaurant for years. You have to get in line early to get a reservation, and my plan was to stand in the heat, no matter how sweltering, and get us a reservation. I knew better than to ask Brandon to do so. Not everyone has the dedication that I do to food, so I didn’t want to be unreasonable. When my wonderful husband picked me up at the airport, the first thing out of my mouth was “I’m starving!” Brandon asked if I could wait until 2:30 to eat. I said, “Are you kidding me?! I haven’t eaten since yesterday at noon! I don’t care if it’s McDonald’s but I need something NOW!” Histrionics get me no where with Brandon, and he just said, “Are you sure? Because if you can, we can eat at Paula Deen’s.” God Bless him, he stood in line with all the other devotees and got us a table! Not only does Brandon not care about eating at Paula Deen’s, he doesn’t even like fried anything. I know it sounds strange, but it was one of the sweetest things Brandon’s ever done for me. It also solidifies my suspicion that I may be obsessed with food.

The reservation time was perfect, because I had plenty of time to walk around and take all the pictures I was so looking forward to taking. Brandon even walked around and scouted out areas I’d be prone to shooting. Aside from the overwhelming hygiene issues of the vagrants who call the parks home, Savannah is lovely. It was just like I thought it would be.

After lunch, we rolled ourselves into the rental car and headed for Hilton Head. We stayed here…was there any question… and had a nice view of the beach. We were still stuffed from lunch and wound up having fruit, cheese and crackers, and ice cream for dinner. That’s our version of a “light” dinner. We tried to see a movie, but our timing was bad and the patrons seemed worse.

I was woefully under packed. Probably due in part to my traditional-thirty-minutes-before-I-HAVE-to-leave pack job. So, we did a little shopping and had a great lunch. There’s nothing better than sitting on a deck eating fresh seafood. The we headed to Sea Pines to meet up with the Ehnes family.

Jill and Scott flew in with their girls and met up with Jill’s sister, Kristin and her husband Austin. We slept in that morning, because I knew we were probably in for a late night. Unless, you know them, it’s hard to convince you how much fun this family is. We played Apples to Apples (and swam!!!) so late that I honestly thought the clock read 12:60, when in fact, it said 1:26 a.m. I do need lasic, but it’s also been a looooong time since I’ve seen a clock register 1:26 a.m. Well, the last time I did, I was up nursing an infant, and this was certainly more fun than that.

The next couple days involved laying around the pool, eating fun places, and the guys playing golf. We also tried to get some beach pictures of Jill’s family, but it was so sunny, it made it next to impossible to shoot. I probably burned their retinas, but they were willing to sacrifice for a nice family photo.

The rest of Jill’s family was filing in throughout the week and I know they’re going to have a great time. They are such a close, hilarious family that in moments of wistfulness I think we should have a third! Then, I hear Meredith throwing a fit over putting a shirt in the laundry and peek into Alex’s mess that he calls a bedroom, and I come to again.

If there was every any question that I was just built to live in that section of the country, I answered it. I loved everything about it and I can’t wait to go back. My only regret is, we probably just should have pulled Alex out of school and taken the kids along. First thing yesterday morning, I was on line looking at property. I also stumbled across several vacation rental homes, and I’m planning all sorts of trips and planning a move in my head.

No comments: