Sunday, May 4, 2008

Toto, they're not in Indiana anymore.

I thought maybe I should check in as several of you have e-mailed me to make sure I’m still breathing. It’s good to know if I should ever fall and break my neck that people would know to check in on me if I haven’t posted a new entry in awhile.

We just had one of those weeks where my focus was elsewhere. I’ll just say I’m glad tomorrow brings a new week. Tomorrow is a big day. We’re having company. Well, truly Kelly isn’t company, she’s family. We may not be officially related, but try convincing either one of us we aren’t.



The kids and I are really looking forward to Kelly’s overnight visit. She’s bringing her boys, Mason and Mitchell and we’re having a sleepover for the first time in 15 or so years. We’re hoping they become a regular occurrence.

For the past five years, Kelly and Matt lived in Terre Haute. Better yet, they lived on the side of Terre Haute closest to Indy. They literally lived just off of I 70, at the half way point between our house and our hometown. Had they not lived there, we would never have been able to make the trip with the newly potty-trained.

We were spoiled. Kelly and I made little jaunts between our house and theirs. Our kids were always first on the other’s guests list for birthday parties, we ran lasagnas back and forth when our kids were born, and again, I can’t tell you how many times we stopped at Kelly’s loaded down with Happy Meals between Olney and our house.

A couple of years ago, Kelly went back to saving lives in the radiology department and Alex insisted on starting school, so our spur of the moment trips became fewer and far between. Lately, we’re lucky if we see each other every three months. That doesn’t mean we’re out of touch. If you were to scroll through either of our caller ID logs, every other number belongs to one of us.

Our impromptu trips and pit stops are about to come to an end. The Burgin’s are headed West to Kansas City for Matt’s new job. So now our trips will be more planned and require a boarding pass. I haven’t really given it much thought until the last few days. Kelly keeps reminding me we’re a short, relatively cheap flight away. I keep reminding her what it’s like to clear security and board a plane without a juice box.

I’m starting to get that panicky feeling in my chest that plagued Tony Soprano all those years. I may wind up in therapy over this move, but before I do we’re going to spend a couple of days catching up in person and letting our kids run wild while I try to keep my emotions in check.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

OK, now that I have officially signed in on the blog, I can leave a comment. (I have checked it multiple times daily as a guest.)Even though my every day begins and ends with a call to Les, I still love this blog. Since this blog was about our visit, I can say Les, you ARE my long lost sister!! I love you dearly and as long as our house is on the market it's still yours for potty breaks. Our purchase agreement for selling still says that Alex can hit the tree out in front, and Merdi has inside priveledges. Nothing is going to change except when we do see eachother it will be overnight. We are going to use up those frequent flier miles! I can't wait for tomorrow and many days to come. Love ya like a sister, back in the day it was Lylas!!!