Thursday, May 29, 2008

Whew, that was fast!


Today was Meredith’s first day of Kindergarten and Alex’s last. Blame it on my adult-onset ADD, but I committed myself to working in Alex’s classroom today despite the fact that Meredith no longer had a place to go. Miss Turner must have been desperate for help because she allowed me to bring the Meredith Show into her classroom.

When Meredith heard the news, she was beside herself with excitement. “YES!!!! I’m in kindergarten!” No. You’re in kindergarten for one day. “How about five?!” As Sara pointed out the other day, everything is a negotiation with Meredith.

Alex helped Meredith pick out a “kindergartenish” dress and when she put it on this morning she said, “Alex is going to be so excited to see me wearing this dress!!!” He was able to contain his enthusiasm.

The class spent the morning in an awards assembly and Meredith and I spent our time packing the classroom away for the summer months. All two of them.

When the class finished their assembly, Meredith joined them for recess and walked in line with them like she belonged from the beginning. Alex clocked his head on a pole and was completely embarrassed. Embarrassment has an ugly effect on Alex. He gets really angry and he isn’t pleasant to be around. The last few minutes of Alex’s kindergarten career were spent brooding. Although, he did jump up to defend his sister when someone yelled at her for cutting in line. His volume and body language were entirely inappropriate. I’m not proud to admit it, but his immediate defense of his little sister made my heart soar.

We went out for pizza and salad after school and Alex and Meredith are spending the rest of the day with their grandparents. Alex knew he had presents to collect, so he was particularly anxious to go to their house. I was particularly anxious to fold laundry in peace and put it away without any interruptions.

No comments: