Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Happy Belated Birthday, Jill C.!


The 4th of July holiday got away from me this year and I didn’t have time to do a birthday post for my good friend Jill C. on July 3rd.

Jill is a veeerrrryyy lucky woman. Rumor has it, had she been born one day later, on July 4th, 1976, her name would have been “July” to commemorate the bi-centennial. At least that’s what my mom told me, and her memory is spotty at best, so don’t place any bets.

Anyway, by the time I remembered I forgot to give Jill a birthday shout-out, I convinced myself she was on vacation. I’ve inherited a spotty memory. They were still home. In actuality, Jill and her family are returning from Florida today. I’m certain the first thing she’ll do when they come home after a long flight, is read this blog.

Jill and I have known each other since birth. Our moms were good friends, and I think our grandmas were friendly too. I remember the grandmas sitting together at a couple of elementary school performances, so that must mean they were friends. Our moms took pictures of us as infants, and love to tell how much bigger I was than Jill. I couldn’t help it. I had a dairy issue and was fed goat’s milk. Give a girl a break!

Point is, it’s a good thing we liked each other, because if not it would have made for some very unpleasant camping/canoeing trips. Yes, that’s right, I was forced to camp as a child. Jill was nutty enough to recently suggest we take our kids on the same kind of trip. I said, “Oh sure. That’ll be fun!,” knowing full well Jill is far too busy and pregnant to make the trip anytime soon.
Jill and her husband, Gaspare own one of our family’s favorite places on earth to eat, Joe’s Pizza in Newton Illinois. They are one of the hardest working couples we know and have two beautiful boys and a little GIRL on the way. Meredith is so enthralled with their eldest it’s embarrassing. Last time they visited she hit him with a very heavy toy. I scolded her and she confessed it was because, “He wouldn’t look at me!” Oh Lord. I wish I had pictures of Jill’s boys, but whenever our kids are together, they’re too busy to stand still. Maybe in August, Jill. (Boy, am I glad her name isn’t July, otherwise that would have read, “Maybe in August, July.”)

Aside from being an outstanding wife, mom, and chef, Jill has a huge heart. Jill would give you the shirt off her back ---it would be neatly pressed. I can’t tell you how many times she has hosted our family, fed us like kings, and made us feel a part of her family. We rarely leave her house without a cooler full of their famous sauce and Bosco sticks for our freezer. Did I mention her house is beautiful and immaculate at all times?! I want to be Jill when I grow up.

Jill’s generosity extends to hiding obnoxious toys she wants out of her house in our van and feeding my son chocolate for the first time. But, seriously Jill is such a loyal and caring friend. The kind you keep around for a lifetime. Happy 32nd Jilly Bean, 12 days late! Can’t wait to see you for Girls’ Weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a sweet friend. I love reading these posts about your best buds. It sounds like you are incredibly blessed with an awesome group of friends.

My Blog

Leslie said...

pjselier, you are right. I am blessed with an incredible group of friends. They're actually more like sisters. They are the reason I'm not in therapy!