Thursday, July 24, 2008

She's a fish!

The sky looked liked this when I went out to get the paper.

It was chilly enough to make me feel slightly excited about wearing cozy Fall clothes. What a great day for the park! After breakfast, I started the park round up, and went into Alex’s closet to grab a shirt. Dear Lord! I don’t know how I missed the accumulating junk on the floor of his closet, but I needed a snow shovel and a ream of Hefty to take care of the mess.

The kids knew I wasn’t happy, and wisely started cleaning the bonus room on their own…without so much as a single threat. They are getting clever in their old age, and realize if they clean another room, they can avoid me and step back into my good graces in one fell swoop. The only sound I heard was their repeated “If we get this done in time, can we still go to the park?!” I was still organizing when they finished the bonus room, so they moved onto their downstairs playroom. I may be onto something.

After we dug ourselves out of the mess, we had lunch and after chatting with a neighbor, decided to meet at the pool. If you’ve been swimming with us, you know it’s rare to see another soul at either of our pools. I’m exaggerating a bit, there might be one family. If it’s a crazy day; two. I’ve heard there have been as many as four families on a weekend, but we never go on weekends. We have too much landscaping to do.

Today was craaaaaaaaazy! The place was pretty full. I’d say there were at least six different groups. The lifeguard blew his whistle and yelled “Adult swim.” We all froze in the pool. First time any of us had heard that in two years. I think the lifeguard was just sick of the screaming, and thought he’d get a break. Clearly he is childless and didn’t know what he got himself into, because the whines of confusion were unbearable.

Meredith, easily influenced by peers, decided she didn’t want to wear wings, and just started swimming. Face in, kicking, coming up for air, the whole nine yards. She’s never had a lesson, and I think it may be time. I’m afraid her confidence exceeds her ability. Half way through our time at the pool, Meredith popped up and said, “I’m so proud of myself! Are you proud of me?!” Of course. “Can we go to Dairy Queen?!” That’s my girl.


Don't worry, those aren't Meredith's goggles.

No comments: