Monday, July 7, 2008

Leopard arms


I am easily intimidated. Today it was the threatening look of the clouds. We were supposed to go swimming with our friends Marianne, Evan, and William. They called from swimming lessons to say it was sprinkling. The ninny I am, I pulled the plug. An hour later, the sun was out and it was hot.

We dinked around here until noon and went to the library to claim the kids’ first prize in the summer reading program. I don’t mean that to read as though they won “First Prize.” I mean that as in we’ve completed our first reading section. There are four sections, and we are woefully behind. I told the librarian I felt badly because we were stragglers this year and she told me it seems to be an epidemic. I always feel better knowing there are other mothers as spastic as me.

We left the library with bouncy balls, ice cream certificates, and a stack of books that nearly dislocated my shoulder.

As we drove home, we had a great discussion about why we wouldn’t have time to go to the pool before nap. Alex rebelled by yelling he was going to climb out his window and go to the pool, and he “knew where the sunscreen was!!!!”

While Meredith napped, Alex and I cleaned the bonus room. My patience with that room has about reached my threshold. It’s always something…Legos, tiny Playmobil parts, and lately scotch tape. Alex has had a love affair with tape since I can remember. It’s normally a really easy way to entertain him, but lately he’s been taping annoying things together. He tapes popsicle sticks to his castles, tries to fix broken toys, etc. Naturally, it winds up on the carpet, takes the finish off surfaces, and is just completely irritating to me. I confiscated all his rolls and like a rational person told him he’d “NEVER own another roll of tape while living under our roof!”

The only other thing I accomplished today was editing pictures. Editing shots is like eating one potato chip and before I know it my eyes are bleeding. My poor children have put together so many puzzles and colored so many pages, they are likely to picket.

As I was putting Meredith to bed tonight, she surveyed my skin and told me I have so many spots she thinks I might be a leopard. I think I’d like to be a leopard. They don’t have to clean their floors.

No comments: