Sunday, July 27, 2008

Weekend Update

This picture has zero relevance, but I didn't open my camera bag this weekend. Even I get sick of it once in awhile. This weekend wore me out!

Friday, which I now count as the weekend for some odd reason, was busy. In the morning, I met a new friend at the park. (I’ll share more about her later, because she has a really fun business I’m excited to show you.) The kids went from wanting to throw rocks into the creek to wanting to get in the creek almost immediately. Maybe I’m nuts, or maybe it’s because I spent a good portion of my childhood wading in creeks, but I let them. Meredith did scrape her toe, but so far no one has come down with any water born illness. Knock on wood.

We stayed at the park too long. I cleaned slightly muddy feet, fed the kids lunch, and we sped off to Annie’s birthday party. Annie celebrated at Build-A-Bear and the kids had a blast. Meredith shocked me by spelling her name on command when the party hostess asked how to spell it. I’ve been working with her for a couple of weeks, but I’m always shocked when something actually sticks. I feel like I spend my days repeating myself over and over and no one shows any signs of comprehension.

The party ended about nap time, and Meredith lost it on our way out. I don’t even remember why she was inconsolable and bratty, but it was a long walk to the car. I’ll probably be asked to stop parking near Von Maur, because we seem to make a habit of leaving in tears.

After dinner, we made a rare evening visit to the pool. I’ve been dying to show Brandon how far the kids have come in the water this year. He reminded me 97 times that he “has a job and was working,” and I continued to press for a time. So, we made our way to the pool shortly before bedtime. In retrospect, it was great timing. I showered the kids and they practically begged to go to bed.

Saturday was equally as frantic. We went to the Farmer’s Market to get corn. (For the record, there’s little else in Indiana aside from corn, no matter what Indiana Beach claims.) The minute we got home, Brandon and Alex were out planting the new plants we brought home from Nashville. After the victory gardeners came in, we went to get salmon to grill for dinner. Brandon’s friend Dan and his family were in town for a visit. They live near Portland, Oregon and I always feel weird serving salmon to people who live in the Pacific Northwest, but Dan doesn’t eat meat, expect fish…is that meat? Anyway, it worked. Dan and Nikki have two little boys. Between the four kids, I’m sure you’re able to picture the peaceful chat we had over dinner.

After they left, I did the dishes and practically ran out of the house and over to Jill E.’s. Jill’s birthday was Saturday, so Stacey and I went over to have a glass of wine and I showed up with a half a key lime pie. Classy. To top it off, I shoved it in Jill’s refrigerator without a word and we forgot to eat it. Do I know how to make someone’s birthday special?! I would do a special birthday post for Jill, but I don't have any embarrassing photos to share, so it'll have to wait until I do.

Sunday was so lazy it was painful. I was supposed to do a couple of photo shoots, but I wound up juggling some things around. Brandon’s family was getting together on the family farm about an hour and a half away. I had a great excuse, but felt guilty about not going. So, I cleared my calendar, but at the last minute I bailed and they went to the farm without me. I had so much to catch up on, and I have a busy week ahead. Is it bad that I stayed home and folded laundry while watching Steel Magnolia’s for the 80th time? If it is, I’ll live with it

1 comment:

Penny Pickles said...

It was fantastic to meet you too!!! I can't wait to get together again soon -