Thursday, December 4, 2008

Alex's Christmas Program

Donning Chipmunk Teeth for "The Christmas Song."

I don’t know why, but whenever I hear children singing in a group I get really choked up. Then again, I also cry over “The Star Spangled Banner.” Always. I’m sure it’s a psychological flaw I should seek therapy over.

Last night was Alex’s first grade Christmas program. It was a little surreal because I can remember my first grade program vividly and it feels like it happened last week.

I didn’t even think about it, but I guess I should be thankful we even had a Christmas program. What a shame that we live in a world where people are forced to celebrate “Winter” so as not to offend anyone else who might not share in our beliefs. If you don’t believe, don’t participate and you won’t have to waste time being offended.

As a matter of fact, an Indian family recently moved into our neighborhood. They might be a Christian family, but judging by their very traditional dress, I’d be pleasantly surprised to learn they were. Anyway, I was really moved to see them sitting there beaming at their singing daughter--just like every other camera clutching parent at the program--while she recited her lines as part of the narration of “Silent Night.”

The program and short and sweet and Alex actually sang and even smiled throughout the entirety. When we got home, Alex was on a performance high and had a very hard time calming himself down. It was 8:45 p.m. before I wrestled both kids to bed.

Changing subjects completely, it’s so funny to see how much faster a second child picks up from their older sibling. Not all of it is good, by any means. Meredith’s attitude does not reflect that of a lady or a three year old. Something she has learned from Alex, aside from his daily phonetics lesson for her, is how to draw. Alex came home with a mathematical puzzle that the kids colored to reveal Santa Claus. He embellished his picture by adding a tree and a gingerbread house. While Meredith waited for Alex to get off the bus this afternoon, she whipped up a tree of her own.
In addition to being a moron with numbers, I’m also severely lacking in the drawing department. I was tested once, for some reason I’ll never know, to see at what age level I drew. Are you ready? I’ve apparently been saddled with the drawing ability of a 4th grader. Clip art saves me, just as I’ve embraced calculators to deliver me from my math deficiencies. So, maybe I’m easily impressed, but not bad for not-quite-four years old.

No comments: