Monday, December 8, 2008

Weekend Update

I’ve created a monster. Meredith is really into drawing. Last Monday, she wouldn’t dare sit in a taffeta gown and use crayons; a week later she won’t put down her pencil long enough to talk to her mother. That’s not the monsterish part. I’m thrilled she is putting her thoughts into pictures. I’m even more thrilled she draws me with veeerrrrryyyyy thin thighs. The garish part of Meredith’s art craze is that she thinks she has a following. She drew a picture over the weekend, explained it all in great detail, and then asked me to “blog it.” Dutifully, I will. Tomorrow.

Aside from replenishing Merdi’s paper supply, I did manage to get a few things done around the house this weekend.

Saturday morning, I did a lot of my usual cleaning stuff, while Brandon and the kids built our gingerbread house. This is usually an event in our house and Alex gets particularly excited about it. His love of design, structure, and general contracting works well with the project. Brandon’s patience and precision results in a gingerbread house that looks like the one on the box. My total lack of patience and low tolerance for nonsense would be disastrous, so I usually just take pictures. This is our house from last year....


We bought a different kit this year...
It was a Willy Wonka kit and looked really fun. It wasn’t. It had the structural integrity of a house of straw.

We threw in the towel and went to Costco for fabric softener and came out with a cart full of stuff we may or may not need. I’ve become the money nazi at our house lately, so I was anxiety riddled for the rest of the day. We also ate hot dogs and churros, so maybe my stomach issues, were not stress related.

Sunday, the kids went with my in-laws to see The Lion King. It’s part of the Broadway series, which allows people living in Indiana to feel like we have a thriving cultural scene. They loved it! We saw it a few years ago and I worried a few scenes might be a little intense for Meredith, but they said she did fine. I didn’t need to go again, because Meredith has recounted every single detail for the last 14 hours. Alex’s review: “It was fine. I wore my coat the whole time.”

While they were out of my hair, I cleaned our bedroom. I’ve already admitted how much I don’t like to put away laundry and unpack suitcases, so I might as well come clean. I had four huge baskets of stuff to sort through and put away. Included in the pile were…gulp…swimming suits. As in the ones we took to Disney. In October. Whew. It’s all done and I’ve promised myself it will not happen again. I will put all my laundry away the minute it’s folded. Just like my weight. I will never regain all the weight I loose after a six month stint in Weight Watchers.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Thanks for the vindication!!! I'm positive that no matter the kit, mine will NEVER look as good as gingerbread 2007!

Sara Alexander said...

What's wrong with that gingerbread house? It looks fine to me:) Ask yourself...does it still taste good? That's the lesson here...