Monday, December 15, 2008

Weekend Update


I’m a little late with the Weekend Update, but I ran behind schedule all day. I was wide awake when Brandon left around 5:00 a.m. Then I realized it was cold and rainy and very dark and I could sleep for another hour. Instead, I slept two more hours. Whoops. The same children who existed on practically no sleep all weekend, slept until 7:30 a.m.

It was another busy weekend, but it’s always busy in December. Friday night we had our annual visit with Santa. The kids had so much fun singing with Santa and pleading for new Barbies. Alex reluctantly sat on Santa’s lap, but I have a feeling our days are numbered and that makes me so, so sad.

To remember what The Season is truly about, we took the kids on a walk through Bethlehem Saturday night with several of our friends. A church very close to our house stages an elaborate journey and it’s always on the most frigid night of the year. It’s uncanny. But hey, if Mary can ride a donkey nine months pregnant, I can surely bundle up our kids and spend 20 minutes hearing The Greatest Story Ever Told. Meredith absolutely loved it and was very into the whole portrayal. Alex had to announce the baby in the manger was not actually Baby Jesus, but a plastic doll; nearly causing a riot with his sister. Thank you, Alex.

Sunday was a pretty slow day. We are thinking of tiling our backsplash and I’m thinking we’re crazy. I have an idea in my head and I have a feeling my vision far exceeds Brandon’s ability and our budget. At any rate, we went to Home Depot and Lowe’s to look at tile. I just wanted to dump all the samples of kitchen materials we brought with the design lady and go home and watch the Colts game. That’s pretty much what the lady suggested after Meredith walked into a shelf and burst into tears and Alex pulled down the blind sample.

Today, I hosted my Mom’s In Touch group, which I love doing, but had to leave them early so we could make it to ballet. Once a year, the parents are allowed to come into the classroom to watch. Normally, our views are restricted to the two way mirrors or the flat screens in the lobby. The performance was much longer last year, so I wasn’t really able to get that many shots, but here’s a quick one of Meredith “ice skating.”

The group picture was a disaster, so I won’t even bother posting it. Fluorescent lighting provides such a lovely green glow and I get easily annoyed with bad lighting.
One of the moms from our ballet class invited us to her home for lunch afterwards. Her little girl is very sweet and I hoped Meredith would leave her bossy hat at home. They played really well together and couldn’t hug each other good-bye enough. It was fun for us both to make a new friend, and it turns out we’re fairly certain our husbands played on the same hockey team.

This afternoon, I made the dough for what I’m hoping will turn out to be outstanding homemade cinnamon rolls. We’ll see…If not, I’m back to my traditional gifts of fudge. Who doesn’t want an extra five LBs as a gift?!

1 comment:

A. Reed said...

oh my goodness...that dancing picture is beautiful I would have to have a big one!