Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Meredith Cassat

For today's entry, I'll grant Meredith her gallery viewing. I can't seem to find the picture she drew of Santa and Mrs. Claus and I have a feeling it left in today’s recycling load. If that’s the case, Lord help me.

The above drawing is of our family and it was finished until Meredith noticed Alex drew apple trees on his picture. She disappeared for a couple of minutes and viola her picture had an orchard too. I guess these trees are on a windswept prairie as they all lean to the left. We don’t like anything that leans to the left in our family, and Meredith was very frustrated to learn crayons don’t erase.

In the next drawing, Meredith decided we should all be dressed. I couldn't agree more. Brandon is the patriotic figure on the far right. In this picture and always.
The final picture I’ll share with you today is one that just about broke my heart. As many of you know, Brandon’s mother, Linda, is battling metastatic colon cancer. We’re keenly aware of how precious the time is the kids get to spend with her. By chance, Meredith recently chose a book about Heaven at the library. I thought maybe God was giving me a great way to explain something difficult to a sweet little heart.
The book opened the flood gates and Meredith started to put two and two together. As you can imagine, we’ve had several discussion about Heaven lately. So, Monday afternoon, Meredith drew these roses for Linda. She wrote “a note” to go with it, which is almost always a series of “M s.” I asked Meredith what the note said, and she went on to tell me it said, “Grandma, I love you and I want you to be my grandma forever. Here. Not in Heaven.” Ah geez, just when I think I’m emotionally stable…

3 comments:

Sara Alexander said...

Those roses are outstanding. I got a little vaclemt when I read that entry!

Penny Pickles said...

so cute and so bittersweet - it isn't easy - i have a few good books to recommend about losing grandma. hugs to you and to little merdi!

Anonymous said...

That story is just beyond precious. Definitely got me teary-eyed. :)