Saturday, January 12, 2008

Band-Aid Chef

Have you ever tried to make meatballs one-handed?


Most of you know my father-in-law took my mother-in-law on the trip of a lifetime to Italy, and I'm on sister-in-law duty. Out of kindness---and the confidentiality clause Kylene made me sign--I'll spare you the details, but needless to say our house is even more chaotic than normal. I wish we were a family that easily absorbs changes in our routine, but alas we are definitely not.


Luckily, Kylene enjoys eating and I enjoy cooking, so I cooked up a storm last week. My kitchen is always a little nutty, but between Kylene's inquiries about when the next episode of Hannah Montana will be on, and the kids every day normal 200 questions/requests it's been every man (or child) for himself during dinner prep.


So, Thursday night I'm answering questions and fulfilling requests for apple juice while chopping onions. Now, I don't really like onions, but I'm not one to deviate from recipes and this one called for onions in the mini meatballs. Maybe because I don't like onions, I don't have all that much practice chopping them. Well, one thing let to another and before I knew it, I had a divot in my thumb. (Yuck! I'm even cringing when I type this, so I hope no one's eating while reading.)


I yelled, grabbed a paper towel, and finished the job one-handed. I've become an expert at silent swearing lately.


What happened next is how our family dynamic usually plays out. Alex immediately comes over to check on me and then scales the laundry room cabinets to reach the emergency kit. He flies in with a band-aid, gauze, antiseptic solution, antibiotic cream, and of course, a roll of medical tape. (To know Alex, is to know his love for office supplies, tape in particular.) Meredith shrieks, covers her eyes, and yells, "Oh no! Mommy! Can you see your bones?! Please don't let me see your bones! I don't want blood on me! PLEASE don't get blood on my dress!!!!" Our house "guest" moseys on down and says "Hey, what's the problem down here?! I can't hear Hannah Montana!"

No comments: