Monday, January 21, 2008

Alex is intently listening for a train, and it'll all make sense after reading today's post, I promise!
Today is a holiday, so Alex was home with Meredith and me all day. We were all three really excited about that until we realized it's really, really cold outside, and everything we would normally do, is open to the public-- free of charge. Obviously, this means places are crowded. I don't like crowds and I'm even less fond of noisy crowds. I needed to think of something fun to do that was a little off the beaten path.

Years ago, I overheard a conversation about a Pizza King in Brownsburg that had some sort of a train that delivered pizza to your table. That was it. That's all the information I had filed in my pea brain. It wasn't much to go on, but after a call to confirm they did in fact have trains in their restaurant, our day was planned.

I didn't tell the kids anything other than we were going to a fun pizza place for lunch. Meredith was happy as a clam. It doesn't take much more than the mention of pizza. Alex on the other hand, couldn't stand not knowing anything else about our lunch plans. "Where is it? Have we been there before? Do they have toppings I like? Do you know how to get there? What if Dad wants to go? He's not home! Should we wait for Dad? Can I bring my camera?..."

So, we made our first trip to Brownsburg, which is sort of like Olney with an Applebees's and without white squirrels. Mapquest gave us a bit of a bum steer and it took a little while to find "the Pizza King with a train."

The place is nothing fancy, and it's in an 80's strip mall, but they have a little train track that runs through the entirety of the dining room. Without boring you with too many details, you sit in a booth, and a class encased tunnel is next to your table. Every once in awhile, a little train chugs by. There are menus at each booth, and you push an intercom to order. (Jill, this could work for you! There are literally no waitresses.)

Well, about five minutes after we ordered, up rolls the train and stops at our window with our drinks. I think I was every bit as excited as the kids! BTW, the pizza isn't delivered by train. You have to use your shanks ponies to walk up and get it when they call you over the intercom.

The funniest part was Alex's determination to get a good picture of the train. He had his little camera propped against the glass just waiting for it to whiz by again. I finally went to the counter and asked them to send it back to our table so Alex could get a shot of it. I'm from out of town, what's a little humiliation?!

They also have TVs in each booth, which are coin operated. I don't know if the kids were more excited about the option to watch TV while they ate, or about plunking quarters into the slot. We watched Hannah Montana and ate pizza and it was the first time ever, I've not had to take anyone away from the table for a chat. We also avoided the usual 19 trips to the bathroom because they were so afraid they'd miss the train. We may eat here every day!

No comments: