Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Most of you know my politics. I don't mention too much about it on here, because I talk about it so much in my every day life. In fact, my first conversation with Alex this morning was an effort to explain the purpose of a primary election.

Politics aside, I whole-heartidly support what our armed forces are doing around the world to protect us. My Grandpa Rogers was a WWII vet and I was raised with a huge amount of respect for what soldiers and their families do. My father in law was a Marine. I get choked up when I hear the Star Spangled banner or I see soldiers waiting in line at McDonald's. I can't help it. I'm a sap.

I'm not sure whether or not going to Iraq was the right decision, but I can't imagine having to make that decision, so who am I to second guess? I do wish our soldiers didn't have to be in harm's way and I think about their sacrifice every day. I am so proud of all the men and women fighting to keep us safe, comfortable, and free. One man in particular gets most of our prayers.

Jennifer's cousin Tim is back in Iraq for another tour of duty. I've known Tim longer than I've known Geeg. He moved away when we were small, but he was such a part of my early years that I've always considered him a good friend. The war got a lot scarier for me when I knew Tim was over there and could be hurt. I think about him a great deal and our kids and I pray for his safe return every day.
Alex wanted to do something to help Tim during his deployment. I thought a care package might be a great way to help Alex help Tim. Jennifer helped us get a list of things Tim might like to have and she gave us his incredibly long mailing address. I would be the worst mailman ever if I had to deliver to those kinds of addresses! I thought it would be a great lesson in patriotism and appreciation for the kids, but it quickly became so much more.

Alex asks about "our friend the solider" and whether or not he's okay. I try to be careful about having the news turned too loud in the van or on while I'm fixing dinner because I don't want to burden his little heart with worry. At the same time, it's important he know the sacrifice so many willingly make to keep our country free and safe. While I'm scared for Tim and his family, I'm also so incredibly proud of his service!

No comments: