Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Why would anyone be a candy striper?!

How about that? I complained a bit about too much togetherness and whamo! Brandon leaves for work in Chicago. Either my timing is great, or he'd had enough of me and decided to create some work for himself.

Before Brandon left, Meredith came down with some sort of virus. She complained of a runny nose this morning, but ate breakfast. A low appetite is the first sign of illness if you are biologically related to me, so I thought she was fine. Thirty minutes later, she looked odd...sort of spacey, red eyes, the whole bit. She said she didn't feel well and I decided to keep her home from preschool just in case. I'm glad I did, because within an hour, she was boiling. She's been on the couch or my chest the majority of the day. Hopefully, she'll be better tomorrow. I can only tolerate the ill for a day or two. I'd make a spectacular nurse!

I did make it to Moms in Touch this morning for the first time in months. It felt good to get back into the habit of praying for our kids and our school. We spent a good chunk of time comparing notes on a head-lice outbreak that seems to be running through Hamilton country. Gross.

Completely off the subject, but Alex is about to drive me over the edge with his ridiculous toy revolver. He shoots it over and over and over and over and over and over again. "SNAP! SNAP! SNAP! SNAP! SNAP!" For extra nerd effect, he carries it in a toy tool belt, because I won't buy him a holster. (Kelly, DO NOT send him a holster. Please.) I'm curious to know if it would harm my tires if I drove over the gun. Sure, I could just toss it in the trash while Alex is at school and claim ignorance, but it would be much more satisfying to crush it!

Since this post is a hodge podge I may as well share my latest obsession. Planning our Spring Break trip. Here's the dilemma, Brandon and I going to my cousin's wedding in California in March. Our trip to Mexico and another cross-country journey puts a dent in the ole frequent flier account; which means duh, duh, duuuuhhh we'd have to purchase plane tickets for Spring Break.

Normally, this wouldn't be that big of a deal because air fare is normally pretty cheap to Mexico, South Florida, etc. Not during Spring Break. So, we're left with beaches within reasonable driving distances, which means beaches that may or may not be warm during the first week in April. We don't want to risk our vacation and sit with our teeth chattering, bound and determine to enjoy the beaches of Gulf Shores or Hilton Head. Brandon's alternative? Great Wolf Lodge, in ahem...Ohio!

I wasn't too jazzed about the idea until I presented it to Alex tonight during dinner. He laid down his gun and said, "YES!!! Great Wolf Lodge!!! That's it!!! I don't want to go anywhere else!!!" So, I guess I'll be spending Spring Break with my family and the rest of the Midwesterners in Ohio...sleeping in a bear den. BUT, it is guaranteed to be 84 degrees and artificially sunny.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

GWL is awesome! The boys had so much fun there and I was thinking we might go back during spring break.

Sara Alexander said...

Just wanted to let you know there is also a Great Wolf Lodge in the Wisconsin Dells! You could come to the great white north!

Leslie said...

GWL is fun! The boys loved it when we went a couple years ago. If the tax man giveth, we may go during spring break too LOL