Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A breath of Fresh Air

Ask any mom what the best thing is for a kid and she’ll likely tell you fresh air. It makes all the difference in the world for our whole family when we’re able to get outside and run around for a bit. The kids don’t feel the need to run from one end of our house to the other while I yell, “STOP RUNNING!!!!,” once they’ve done a few laps around our yard. They also sleep better, which leads to better behavior (them), and fewer moments spent in the bathroom hiding (me).

Today was a great day because we were able to play outside. After lunch we attempted to go for a short bike ride. Alex and Meredith were both riding their bikes. I wasn’t naïve enough to think I’d be able to ride mine. I knew I’d wind up carrying at least one bike home. Our ride lasted 15 minutes and went the short length of our path. Naturally, Meredith got tired of pedaling and I dragged her tiny pink Schwinn home.

We played on the swing set until the meltdowns increased in number, length, and frequency. There’s a reason they teach you to time contractions during labor; you’ll need that skill set later. Meredith went down for her nap and slept two and a half hours. Was I cleaning my kitchen or working on the mound of weekend laundry? No. I edited photos. I can’t help myself. I think I understand what it must be like to be an addict. If I wind up in photo rehab, I hope you’ll visit me and bring a People.

After nap, when my eyes were crossed from looking at pictures of the bride, I ditched our dinner plans and we went to the park. The park closest to our house is nice, but a little on the weird side. Nearly every piece of equipment spins. It’s enough to make me nauseous just driving by. Alex was on this little spinning chair and I couldn’t spin him fast enough. He was laughing so hard and I was trying to commit his almost-six-year-old laugh to memory. When Alex finally got out of the chair, his eyes were moving back and forth involuntarily. You know those Felix the Cat clocks (What? You don’t long to decorate like it’s 1954?!)? Well, that’s what Alex’s eyes looked like. It creeped me out completely which only encouraged him to spin around more in an effort to repeat the look.

After that we walked to the skate park to watch all the boys do amazing things on tiny wheels. I don’t know if you’ve ever been to a skate park, but it wasn’t what I expected. It looked like Cell Block 9 was out for recreation. We won’t be doing that again.

We came home later than I’d planned and since the chicken wasn’t thawed I fixed the kids green beans and sandwiches I billed as “Bistro hot ham and cheese.” The kids ate them and didn’t complain. As I was putting Alex to bed he asked me what we were having for dinner tomorrow. I told him we’d have the chicken I planned to make tonight. He said, “Oh good. I’m tired of ham and cheese.” I realized then, I’d basically served them the same thing for lunch!

No comments: