Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It's official, I've lost my mind.

Last night as I was flipping through channels trying to find something to watch, I briefly landed on HSN. Cringe. The Home Shopping Network. If you know me, you know I don't have any fashion sense to speak of, but I do know hip clothes are most likely not offered on a home shopping channel. I couldn't help stopping because they were showing a really cute skirt. I had to look for a number of reasons.

  • It was black.
  • It was A-line.
  • They said it was "swirly."

If I could, I would base my entire wardrobe around those three requirements. In fact, I have. When we did the great closet make-over, I realized I was prepared for a funeral at a moment's notice. All but three of my dresses are black. One is brown, one is seersucker, and one is only appropriate for a lual or a Jimmy Buffet concert.

Now, I wasn't about to pick up the phone and order a skirt. I'm not there yet, but I was willing to trapse downstairs and order it on-line. I found the skirt right away and had second thoughts. Upon closer inspection, it had some weird gauzy layer over it. Then, I started to add in shipping cost and tax and realized I was about to pay a hefty sum for a skirt I saw on TV. Had it really come to this?

I didn't order the skirt. However, I did order another black dress. It was on sale, it has sleeves, and Lord knows my arms need to be hidden. I'll let you know whether or not my first HSN purchase results in my first HSN return.

In complete fairness, I can't help myself. This is a genetic issue. My Grandma Berger is an avid reader and watches very little, if any TV. The one thing she apparently does watch occassionally is QVC. Grandma has given the kids some great gifts that came from QVC, so maybe she's on to something. My own mother has been known to order things from infomercials. Remember Caruso Culers?! We had them. So, I take no responsibility for my latest purchase.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

*laugh* My Aunt Sally loved QVC.

I was a fan of infomercials when I was little -- I convinced my step-dad to order me the Great Wok of China when I was 9! haha!