Saturday, April 12, 2008

Come Monday


As we left the coast of Alabama Friday afternoon, I mentioned to anyone listening how green everything was. The trees were in full bloom, the azaleas rivaled Augusta, and it just felt like early summer. When we crossed the state line into Indiana, I was quick to point out how bland everything was. Flat land, barren trees, and silver and white silos. Not exactly eye candy. Brandon loves when I complain about living in the Midwest, so you can imagine his enthusiasm.

We were all ready to sleep in our own beds and if we stayed another week, my capris could no longer have accommodated my thighs, but still, it was hard to leave the beach behind. I’m shocked how much we enjoyed our time in the sand. Literally.

As I’ve shared we aren’t really beach people. The thought of trying to keep sand outside the condo kept me up at night prior to leaving for the trip. I just knew we would drive home with sand embedded in the carpeting of our van. This may come as a surprise, but my fears were somewhat irrational.

The sands of the Gulf coast are fine and sugary and the temperature didn’t cause every grain to stick to me. We were able to sit on the beach without sweating. Some may have wished for warmer weather, but for our heat-stroke-prone family, it was ideal. I was happy as a clam under my huge umbrella while the kids dug holes like they were preparing for life underground.

Aside from GramPam nearly losing a toe to Alex’s machine like digging; the kids had so much fun playing with my parents and scaring my grandma with their daring ventures into the ocean. Our friends the Staperts were in Orange Beach too and our kids played together in the surf. I know it sounds corny, but I just kept thinking how great it was to share a day at the beach with good friends. It made the time that much sweeter.

God bless my parents and Grandma, who bravely volunteered to keep all four kids while Brandon and I went to dinner with Curt and Dawn. We had a great dinner out and went for a drink afterwards. We thought this place would increase our street cred, but it turned out to be a bunch of guys in khakis and Lacoste® shirts, save a few characters.

While shopping at our favorite store, Al’s 5 & 10, we noticed the Blue Angels practice schedule posted on the door. On a whim, Brandon, the kids and I hurried out the door to the National Aviation Museum, to catch the 8:00 a.m. practice. It was incredible! I can’t begin to put into words the feeling I got watching those gorgeous planes fly feet from each other in complete precision. The museum was worth the trip in and of itself.

Some other highlights aside from the beach: The kids went miniature golfing with GramPam and Trophy, and on a wild go-kart ride. We did our fair share of shopping at the outlets. (Brandon was really excited to find a Tommy Bahama outlet.) We ate at some really fun places. LuLu’s was by far my favorite. It’s owned by Jimmy Buffet’s sister, and at one point during our meal I was 100% convinced Jimmy pulled in on his boat. I swear I’d had nothing stronger than iced tea.

Oh, and I read two books! One Jill C. HAS to read right way. Full of Grace, by Dorthea Benton Frank. The other, Dawn lent me after she finished it. Into the Wild. That just convinced me I could never cut the mustard living in the wilderness even if I could hack a week in the sand.

With any luck, I'll post a slideshow at some point because it was too hard to narrow down the pictures I wanted to share.

1 comment:

Jill C. said...

I'm so glad your back, my mom and I were suffering from "Leslie Withdrawl"! It souds like you had a wonderful time, the pictures were beautiful! -Jill