Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ab envy

I’ll admit I wasn’t all that jazzed about the Olympics this year. I was especially annoyed the games were being hosted by China. I’m not a fan of their government to say the least. (Yes, Jill E. I see the irony in my love for Costco.) I didn’t even want to watch the opening ceremonies, but I had a hard time looking away.

I can’t help but get a little caught up when there are four Hoosiers competing. The local news can’t stop talking about them. Rightfully so. Their hard work and success should be celebrated. And honestly, who isn’t intrigued by Michael Phelps?! I think he might be a machine. Point is, I tried to ignore the Olympics, but I find myself glued to the TV every night.

Normally, my main interest is in gymnastics. I’m amazed at what people can train their bodies to do. I feel guilty that my body has never been trained to do much of anything aside from laundry. I have watched gymnastics, but I’ve been particularly drawn to swimming this year. Initially, I watched to see what Michael Phelps might do, but then I started paying attention to the women. I found my new hero! Dara Torres---who by the way, medaled in her first Olympics in 1984…a year before Michael Phelps was born!


These 41 year-old abs have been through pregnancy?! I’m not even sure I have a belly button and I could do my afore mentioned laundry on this woman’s stomach.

Don't call me to discuss this post. I'm busy watching the Olympics.

1 comment:

Penny Pickles said...

isn't she freaking amazing?!?!?! i should be so lucky to look like that at 21 let alone 41. perhaps my workouts of starbucks and goldfish are not enough? anyway, as i now look down at my "gooshy" belly, i think i might pop some popcorn w/butter and watch the olympics - it doesn't get much better than that!