Thursday, August 14, 2008

The difference between want and need and why Meredith doesn't care

If they gave a prize to the child most able to con a grandparent into practically anything, Meredith would medal. Earlier this week, we made a trip to the toy store to pick out a birthday gift for our friend Clare. Clare is turning four and is having a very special birthday party this weekend. Of course I gave the same talk everyone else gives their children when shopping for a birthday gift…”We’re here to buy something for your friend.” “Remember it isn’t your birthday.” “No one will ask, beg, or whine for anything and whoever does will take a six hour nap.”

Despite my canned lecture, Meredith fell in love with a suitcase, of all things, within six feet of the door. She started making her case. She needed the suitcase. I told her we had plenty of suitcases, and I made my best effort to reiterate the difference between want and need. I knew Meredith had a vision of herself walking into a hotel or onto a plane carrying the hot pink round bag. If you’ve ever taken a small child shopping or been in a five mile radius of a child in a store, you know we left the store with a pouty lip and big crocodile tears. I was done discussing the suitcase.

Almost done. At 4:30 a.m., Meredith walked into my room to tell me she had a bad dream. I asked her to tell me the dream and she said, “I was Cinderewewwa and Awex was Pwince Chaaming, and you were da wicked stepmudda who woudn’t wet me hab da suitcase.” I marched her back to bed.

I told GramPam the story in the morning because I thought it was funny. GramPam thought it was sad, not funny. She asked me to go get the suitcase and send her a bill. I couldn’t believe my ears. Surely she wasn’t this easily swindled. Then again, she has been known to make purchases from infomercials.

GramPam agreed with me that Meredith created a vision and she didn’t think we should keep her from it. Sigh. I told her I had a vision of myself carrying around a new Vera Bradley duffle and was quickly shot down.

Obviously, Meredith wouldn’t keep her gift under her lid, so we’d have to find something for Alex from GramPam too. Easy. The store is chock full of art kits. Done. He was as thrilled as Meredith.


Aside from picking up suitcases and art kits, Meredith and I went to the home of Penny Pickles to shoot some of Annie’s beautiful work. Before I left, I grabbed a quick shot of “The” Penny Pickles.


This is Annie’s daughter, Penny. Her brothers gave her the sweet nickname of “Penny Pickles,” and it fits Annie’s studio so well. Isn’t she a doll?!

Meredith and I are off on an adventure this weekend. If you’ve talked to Meredith at all this week, you know exactly where we’re headed. Brandon and Alex will be at home doing manly things like landscaping and ordering pizza because they’ll claim they didn’t know how to reheat the lasagna I’ll leave in the fridge.

4 comments:

Penny Pickles said...

omg - i hope that picture is on that cd- that is beautiful - sure the kid, but the photo is amazing, thanks again! see you tomorrow wicked step-mudder and tell cinderwella that i love that bag!

Jill C. said...

Love the suitcase Merideth! I'm glad Gram Pam came to your rescue from the wicked stepmudder!!

Can you believe Strawberry Shortcake is still idolized- that was our favorite too!

Have fun at American Girl!

Jamie said...

GramPam is right, she needed the suitcase. I wish someone would finance my visions. :) Meredith just keeps becoming more beautiful. What a doll! :)

A. Reed said...

Awesome pic of "Penny Pickles" As for the couch, some lady was throwing it away. Yes in the trash and we stopped and grabbed. Plan on recovering it soon as its missing cushions but it will still be an awesome prop as is.