Monday, August 11, 2008


After Alex’s ice cream social last year, I freaked out. I jumped on line and started looking into private schools. I called my mom and asked her just how much she thought we stood to loose if we sold our home that day. I lost it. Why? Histrionics. It was the first time we’d been outside of our church preschool and I’m embarrassed to say I was shocked that not every family looked and acted just like ours. No one has ever accused me of being politically correct. However, I calmed down and decided to make the best of it and it turned out just fine. Great, in fact!

When it came time for this year’s ice cream social, I felt much less apprehensive and was looking forward to seeing the kids, teachers, and parents we met last year. Wow! What a difference a year makes. The place was packed, parents were eager to volunteer and children seemed excited to be there. This is only the second year of existence for our school and I think it just took some time to get the wheels in motion.

We met Alex’s teacher, Mrs. Hacker and dear Lord is she adorable. I could put her in my purse and she is incredibly sweet. I assume she has a thing for frogs or maybe there was a sale, because the classroom is dripping with all things amphibian. Not weird, gross frogs. It’s cute, trust me. The reading area is a lily pad! Adorable. Mrs. Hacker also seemed to have a calm control about her which I think Alex will respond very nicely too. She noticed he was a bit nervous and wasn’t thrilled about overt attention, and she responded to him perfectly. It’s such a relief and I’m so excited for Alex!

We had ice cream twice today. I promised Alex we would get ice cream after his haircut. The kid used to LOVE to get his haircut and wanted to do it every week. Now, thanks to these jokers, he wants it longer. I won and he looks much, much better. We ran into my friend Amy R. whom I haven’t seen all summer. We have coffee every week during the school year, and live within five minutes of each other, but managed to go the whole summer without visiting. Where does the time go? Am I the only person this side of 85 that says that?

Our dog Rolly, hasn’t been himself and clearly had some sort of stomach issue, so we took him to the vet today. I put it off as long as possible, because I really don’t like going to the vet. I am not a huge animal lover, and I just feel like I’m inhaling fur the whole time we’re there. Plus, I knew I’d have to drag the kids and that’s almost as bad as the flying dog hair. Poor Rolly doesn’t ask for much, and this was his first sick visit it seven years. God Bless him. He puts up with a lot! Turns out taking a dog in for a stomach virus is sort of like taking a kid in for a stomach virus…a shot, some pills, and a diagnosis of “I don’t know what he has. Something must be going around or he ate something he shouldn’t have. You can check out at the front.”

No comments: