Monday, September 8, 2008

I knew I missed out, not having a brother!


What would Meredith do without her big brother? The following is going to sound like we think of Alex as a saint. Believe me, we have our issues with him, but one thing he is great about is helping. I truly believe his gift from God is a helpful heart.

Alex has been helpful since he could walk. He lived for delivering laundry to rooms when he was a tiny tot. Meredith on the other hand will run the other direction at the mere mention of a future task. She doesn’t even like to help make cookies, but will gladly lick the beaters. Meredith will sob at the suggestion she clean her room. Alex will have cleaned his room and scrubbed his sink and she’s still in the middle of a tantrum.

Today, for whatever reason, Alex decided he would clean Meredith’s closet. He is a brave little man. Merdi pulls down outfits and tries them on at will, which I’ve mentioned/cried about here more than once. It’s sometimes hard to find the carpet in Meredith’s “dressing room.” Alex cleaned Meredith’s closet and moved on to do her entire room. I was lavishing praise on him and asked Meredith if she just sat in the chair the whole time while her poor brother did all the work. She said, “No. I laid in my bed part of the time too.”

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I hope I have one with the helper gene! :)