Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My pride wrapped in yarn

Random Great American picture. Trusty old point and shoot!

I had no idea we needed a stadium blanket for soccer practice tonight. Meredith and I froze while watching Alex run up and down the field, weaving in and out of tiny orange cones. I conned Merdi into sitting on my lap as much as possible; but she doesn’t understand the human blanket concept yet.

As we pulled into soccer, my cell phone rang and I noticed it was a call from the elementary school. I had Alex with me, so I knew it wasn’t a your-son-just-threw-up-in- gym-class call. As soon as the sweet lady told me she was with Market Day, I cringed. I KNEW today was Market Day pick up, and even fielded my reminder call last night. I became a self-fulfilling prophecy by joking with the reminder mom that I would most likely forget to pick up my order. I kept my promise.

While Meredith was at school this morning, I made an honest attempt at buying her some warmer clothes. If she can avoid wearing pants, she will, but my dress and tights combos seem to be limited this year. I hit my regular haunts and didn’t find much. A friend suggested I try a department store, like Macy’s. Never even occurred to me! I am easily overwhelmed and I don’t like to shop. Department stores do me in. I think I might have to go to an actual indoor mall, rather than my normal lifestyle centers. I’m sure I’ll just wind up buying a bunch of stuff on line that doesn’t fit. That way I’ll have an entire post written while I wait in line at the post office to return it all.

Alex was out of school early today for a teacher in-service day, and I feel badly that I didn’t really do anything special with him. I don’t really know what I was so busy doing this afternoon, but I know I should have taken him up on his offer to play a game of “Go Fish.” My laundry will be here tomorrow and Alex won’t.

I forgot to mention Meredith and I had very special lunch guests yesterday. My Grandpa and Grandma Berger came to visit. They were in West Baden Springs to celebrate their 63rd wedding anniversary. That’s twice as long as I’ve been alive. At least I think it is. Math isn’t my thing. I was kicking myself after they left because I didn’t pull out my camera. Sometimes it gets in the way of me being a part of the day, so I leave it in the bag, but I almost always regret it. My Grandpa will be 82 next week and my Grandma will be 81 in December. I think it’s pretty impressive they made it all the way here from West Baden with little direction from me. My Grandma had it all under control with her Mapquest directions. It was such a treat to see them! I so appreciated them driving the extra 2 and half hours. It means a lot to me for a lot of reasons.

Tonight at dinner Alex shared something from his day with us, which is pretty monumental. I could earn an oral surgery degree with the amount of teeth pulling I do with that kid. Alex voluntarily told us he was the star student in art today. I was visibly proud and he quickly brushed off the praise and told me it was probably just because he helped clean the art room. I choose to believe it’s because he’s a brilliant artist and made the best yarn collage ever.

No comments: