Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blaming the government for my mess.


Most of my days begin with me telling myself that I have the whole day ahead of me and should be able to get a fair amount of cleaning done. Then, I check my e-mail and remember I’ve scheduled lunch with someone I worked with for three months in 1999. As I’m grabbing the cereal boxes out of the pantry, I glance at the calendar and remember I’m scheduled to deliver treats for Cafeteria Workers Appreciation Week. While driving to pick up treats for said week, I realize we’re almost out of gas, and Costco is much cheaper. I drive to Costco and realize I might as well run in and get dishwasher detergent. And on and on, my days go. Rarely do accomplish what I originally meant to do.

I try not to think about it, or I start to feel overwhelmed and like a total failure. Instead I choose to ignore the growing pile of laundry and toy-strewn bonus room and show up wherever it is I’ve committed myself to being. Yesterday afternoon something totally unexpected popped up and ate my entire day.

Sarah Palin’s coming to town; my disaster areas will have to wait! Evidently, word spread that Indiana will still be voting this year, and they’re finally sending in the big gun. As an added bonus, Governor Palin is speaking at a venue ten minutes from our house.

I was on a quest to get tickets the minute I heard about the appearance. I spent a good portion of my afternoon on the horn. After Alex got off the bus, we drove over to Republican headquarters to get in line. The line was the length of a strip mall and wrapped around a Kroger. We waited in line an hour and a half. The kids were really good and had fun chatting with an available audience. We snagged four tickets. It was a long wait, but totally worth it.

We made a promised stop by the Dairy Queen on the way home. When I realized the kids' sundaes would melt while we ate dinner, I let them eat dinner in reverse. They ate dessert first and actually went on to finish their meals. It pays to wait in line without incident in our house.

Today really is Cafeteria Worker Appreciation Day and I got a call at 7:00 a.m. that we’re also including recess monitors and I'm scrambling for extra treats. So my floors will be neglected again today while I deliver muffins and write Governor Palin’s name in glitter on poster board.

1 comment:

StephTate said...

And you thought that your poster making days at SK weren't going to be useful in your adult life! I'm a little jealous! You'll just have to cheer for all of us! Love ya- Steph