Monday, October 13, 2008

Caramel apples in tank tops

As anyone with a phone line or within a ten mile radius of me knows, I’m sick of the heat. I love Fall, and I feel like we’re going to get cheated out of it this year. I sound like some sort of victim, but I have a feeling we’re going to go from 84 and sunny to 31 and slushy.

In my refusal to wear shorts to the pumpkin patch, we decided we would celebrate Fall this weekend, we would just do so in the air conditioning. GramPam sent the kids Halloween treat boxes and one of the treats was a caramel apple making kit. We tackled this project in our climate controlled kitchen and we were finished in 20 minutes. Next.

I mentioned something about going to Oliver Winery and the family latched onto the idea. So, Sunday we made our way south for a wine-soaked picnic. I can’t imagine anything more appropriate to do with small children on a Sunday. We visited their market and made a picnic out of cheese, fresh baguettes, and crackers. Brandon and I enjoyed a bottle of wine and the kids were thrilled to pick out their own fun drinks. 100% non-fermented fruit juice, lest you question my sanity.


For those of you living anywhere near Oliver, you really should make the trip. The leaves are all starting to turn and their grounds are indescribably beautiful. I just caught myself trying to describe the grounds and I really can’t. Just trust me. Load the kids into the van and make a day out of it. You might even be lucky enough to get a glorious Christmas card shot like this:


In a moment of insanity, we decided to drive on to Nashville, Indiana, Fall Tourist Trap Capitol of Indiana. Nashville is quaint; with little artist studios, stained-glass stores, and 57 fudge shops. It always sounds like a better idea than it turns out to be. It’s crowded, there are few parking places, and for extra fun there was some sort of Harley convention. We bought some fudge. I ducked into a couple of stores only to quickly decide I have no need for a “Welcome Friends” toaster cozy. We bought lemon shake-ups and then we left. Every time we go, I announce it’s my last visit. My latest boycott lasted six years.

Brandon and the kids enjoying our time in Nashville. Alex made the following observation while feasting on sugar, "So, uh, this place looks kind of old fashiony, huh? Is that on purpose, or is it just old?"

No comments: