Saturday, October 18, 2008

Read my lipstick, which I rarely remember to wear.


If you live in Indiana, or live in a bordering state and share a media market with us; you probably know Republican Vice Presidential candidate, Sarah Palin was in town Friday. If you don’t live in Indiana or a neighboring state, but have a phone, I probably called you to tell you Sarah Palin was coming to Indiana.

I was pretty excited Friday. If I’m willing to wait in line with two kids for an hour and a half for a ticket, it has to be something special. Most people would probably do this for a special concert or maybe to see Oprah, but I am willing to do it out of political interest. See, I use my degree!

Megan and I started watching the news around 11:00 a.m. and calling each other every hour to map out an arrival/parking/meet up plan. The parking lots opened at 11:00, for the 5:30 p.m. event. The only other time that happens is when Jimmy comes to town. For the record, that parking lot is more fun. We decided there was no point in waiting in line all day, and would just try to squeeze in at a reasonable time.

Brandon was supposed to come with us, but started getting phone calls left and right about the time we needed to leave. I suspect his team members are Obama supporters. So, he stayed behind and my friend Marianne and I got into Verizon with little trouble and found Megan, her daughter Catey, and our friend Elisabeth (Colburn, not Hassleback).



Marianne, Elisabeth, and Megan


Sarah Palin started speaking right on time. It was really fun to see her walk out on stage. I know it’s ridiculous, but Megan and I both admitted our hair was standing on end. It was exciting to see her! For the record, the governor is in INCREDIBLE shape. Especially after having had a baby six months ago, and it being her fifth pregnancy! My other favorite Sara, Sara Alexander and I decided it must be because she’s too busy to eat.

Sarah Palin delivered a speech that the paper claimed lasted 30 minutes, but I swear it was closer to an hour. It was a speech meant to energize the base, and I hope it did. The kids who were there seemed to love it and punctuated everything she said with claps. I was sorry I didn’t bring our kids, but knew I would have spent half the speech taking someone to the bathroom six times.

Speaking of the crowd…That’s probably the first time I’ve ever been around 24,999 other Republicans. I’ve felt a little lonely this election, so it felt like Homecoming. The crowd was jovial, polite, and very courteous. Jimmy’s parking lot may be more fun, but Sarah’s was a lot easier to get out of at the end of the night. That probably has to do with the fact that they don’t sell margaritas and beer at Sarah Palin rallies.

I don’t know what will happen in two weeks. I know what the polls say, but I don’t make a habit of living by the polls. I’m sure I’m in for a couple of weeks of stress eating. Regardless of the outcome of the 2008 election, I don’t think I’ll forget the feeling of watching a woman I really admire speak to a cheering crowd of nearly 25,000; hoping with all my might I was watching the next Vice President of the United States.


"You have a choice between a politician who puts his faith in government and a leader who puts his faith in you." ~Governor Sarah Palin

1 comment:

Jill C. said...

You are so lucky to be able to go and witness history!! I couldn't wait to hear how it went. I definitely would have bought an "I Love Joe The Plumber" t-shirt!- Jill