Thursday, October 2, 2008

My son, the mathlete

This little guy, while cute, doesn't like to read directions.

This little one doesn't want to be told "No." Ever.

I need to write this down somewhere…I did an hour and a half of math homework with Alex. I was able to answer all the questions without a struggle. Yes, I know it’s first grade math, but that’s where all my trouble with numbers began. Mad Minutes, be damned.

After what was a fairly relaxing day of a haircut (which is scary short) and lunch with my friend Rebecca, Alex came home with a folder full of worksheets that needed to be redone. An entire folder full. All math. In addition-- pardon the pun--to the sheets in need of retouching, Alex has a spelling test tomorrow and a “baggie book” he needs to be able to read fluently by morning.

I brought it on myself. I just told my friend Sommer today that Alex only has ten minutes of homework per night. In fairness to Alex’s teacher, he only had ten minutes of actual homework. The rest of the work was stuff we had to re-do because Alex apparently left the planet while the rest of the class read directions.

After all the homework, we flew out the door to Cub Scouts. We’re two weeks in and I’m hoping Alex doesn’t want to move beyond a Tiger Cub. We had the meeting at a park and the boys were as focused as cats. Meredith is unbelievably high maintenance at these meetings and I’m the only mom there. Highlight of my week. I’m just proud of myself for avoiding eye contact when they asked for a den leader.
You might think this kid is pointing to something related to nature. You would be wrong, he was pointing out where the snacks were. I'm not kidding.

High Maintenance Harriet, herself.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Poor Alex. Homework is no fun.

But in all fairness, grading it isn't much fun either...

:)

Penny Pickles said...

I love the snack boy!!!!!! Math sucks, plain and simple. Maybe Jon and Alex go to the same planet...