Monday, November 10, 2008

After all the complaining about unpacking last week, I set myself up for more. This trip was planned the minute Baby Maria made her appearance on October 19th. Maria and her family live about 20 minutes north of my hometown. Whenever we head “home,” we always over-schedule ourselves and we never leave on time. This weekend was no different.

We left a full hour and a half later than I initially planned. I have no idea why. So, we got to Jill C.’s house an hour or so after I told her to expect us. It’s as though we run on island time. At any rate, Jill forgave us and even let me scoop her sweet, sleeping, pink bundle of a baby out of her bassinet. It’s not that I forget what newborns smell like, it’s just that I forget how positively intoxicating the scent of baby powder is. It’s dangerous.

Maria is precious! While she looks a great deal like her brothers, Maria has these dainty little features that unmistakably scream GIRL! Her hands…Her tiny little fingers. Meredith could not get enough of Maria’s delicate hands.
Meredith was very excited to hold Baby Maria. I was a little surprised because Alex is very much our resident Baby Whisperer. Meredith usually peeks at the baby, comments on his/her outfit, and runs off to play with the older siblings. Before we even left our house, Meredith asked if I thought Jill might let her hold Maria. Jill obliged and Meredith did great. Of course, Jill and I were secretly cradling Maria’s head, but Meredith either didn’t notice or was too proud to care.
Alex loves to play in Jill’s sprawling yard with her boys Giuseppe and Frank. It was cold, but the boys didn’t seem to notice. When they came inside they were all wearing safety goggles, carrying plastic rifles, and bragging about knocking down wasps nests. Evidently, Jill’s husband Gaspare sprayed wasps’ nests months ago, but the boys felt it was their duty to take care of the abandoned homes. This all went on largely unsupervised as Jill and I were taking pictures of Maria and Brandon and Gaspare were at their restaurant making pizzas. (Gaspare’s and Jill’s restaurant, not Brandon’s. He doesn’t have a restaurant. At least not that I know of. Maybe that’s what he does all week.)

After gorging ourselves, we left Jill’s and went to Olney to visit my grandparents. That’s usually a fairly short visit. We sit with them and talk until we can’t hear ourselves over the din of my children arguing and then we excuse ourselves. It’s always good to see them and they’re always reminded how glad they are their four are grown.

Because we were so far behind in schedule, we got to Jennifer’s house later than we planned. I think Caroline had about given up on us. That little cutie came running to the door and immediately jumped up to give me a hug. I don’t get to see Caroline anywhere near enough, and she never seems to need time to warm up to us. Oh, I could kiss her adorable cheeks all day! Caroline’s little brother Reese and I made a deal last time I saw him that he wouldn’t grow. He didn’t hold up his end of the bargain. We couldn’t believe what a big boy Reese is. He’s eating cereal and scooting all over the place. He is so cute and it’s so funny to watch him in constant motion. I remember another little chubby cheeked boy who was always in a perpetual state of movement. In fact, now he’s a tall, skinny boy who still cannot remain motionless. Ever.

After all our Olney visiting, we headed an hour south to my grandma Roger’s. Bless her soul, she expected us two hours earlier…at least I called, and she was dying for us to get there. We had dinner and my aunt stopped by for a little bit. The kids played with many of the same toys I played with as a kid and then finally fell into bed. Alex and Meredith share a bed at Nana’s and the last time there was a quarrel, Meredith was bitten by Alex, and there were tears all around. This time, they were too tired to fight for space and were asleep the minute I tucked them into bed.

We drove home yesterday in time for the Colts game. Thankfully, they made it worth the drive! Now, I’m unpacking, doing laundry, and getting read for ballet. The cycle continues.

No comments: