Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Under the Pile and Dreaming

Today as I was sending e-mails giving instructions to other parent volunteers about what we can and cannot do and bring to the Thanksgiving party at school, I noticed this headline on Yahoo: “Lean Cuisine recalls thousands of meals after plastic found in dinners.” I knew there was a reason I’d been avoiding the dozen or so I have in the freezer and opting for a turkey sandwich with cheese and chips instead.

This has been kind of a weird week. Every once in awhile I feel like I have so much to do that I start to paralyze myself with panic. Instead of getting stuff done, I just sort of sit and stare at it. I’m at that point. I need to get out a pad of paper and start making lists and then I’ll feel much better. I just need to find a pad first. It’s probably under all the clothes stacked on my island that need to be put away. I did get some of the laundry put away today. At least that’s something.

My friend Sally called this morning and wanted to know if Meredith and I would like some company. I told her I had to stay home and stay focused on homemaking. Meredith was all for a visit from Sally and her daughter Stella, until I pointed out the current state of her room. She said, “Oh, no problem mom, I’ll just put my arms out like this (arms out to the side in a threatening pose) if anyone tries to come up to my room.” I explained to Meredith that wasn’t what a gracious hostess did, and she said, “You know what, let’s just see if they want to grab a taco? That way I don’t hafta clean my room.” So, that’s what we did. I still need to clean her room.

Alex came home from school with a new math workbook, and quietly did page after page from the book, until I picked up the phone to call Sara. Sara doesn’t yet have children and may never want to if she continues to listen to mine bicker like animals while I’m on the phone with her. When Alex took the lid off this evening, he really let loose and I’m very much looking forward to bedtime. It’s always fun to do homework and sound out words when he’s in a mood. Wait a minute, maybe my anxiety-riddled mood is affecting him??? This blog is much cheaper than therapy.

The bright spot in my day was the arrival of our Christmas cards. I have to say how much I love Shutterfly.com. I work with a professional lab that does a tremendous job with my prints, but I don’t have the ability (or focus) to upload a template and create a card with them. I find it much easier just to drop something into Shutterfly. I am a woman of the people! I ordered them Sunday and viola they arrived today via UPS. Rolly was more than happy to let me know they were here. I am thrilled with the way they turned out. Now if I can just get them addressed, stamped, and mailed before Christmas…

No comments: