Saturday, November 29, 2008

I may have to move.


Going into the weekend, my biggest concern was finishing all the decorations and being able to see my floors again. Who knew the weekend would end with our bonus room barricaded like Fort Knox?!

Friday was a long day. I made Thanksgiving dinner for our little family a day after the real deal. For some reason, Brandon’s family doesn’t always have turkey for Thanksgiving. Some years, they serve ham. (WTH?!) This was one of those years. You know by now, I’m something of a traditionalist, and I’m raising two people who also develop magazine-like pictures in their heads for what a holiday should and shouldn’t be. So, as soon as we got home Thursday evening, my spare turkey was out of the freezer and into a cold water bath.

I cooked most of the morning on Friday. I timed everything terribly and the kitchen was a disaster. We sat down to eat and Meredith said, “That’s it?! My teacher said my belly would stick out after eating Thanksgiving. This won’t make my belly poof out.” I refrained from wringing her neck and noticed all she actually ate was cranberry sauce.

Once I got the kitchen cleaned, Meredith and I were upstairs watching an episode of Jon & Kate Plus 8. I was enjoying the serenity of a clean bonus room. It’s rarely orderly. The kids have the majority of their toys there and it’s usually an eyesore. Every once in awhile, I loose it and start tossing out broken toys, gum wrappers, and errant Legos. Yesterday happened to be one of those days. I scrubbed the place down top to bottom. So, after a long day of decorating, cooking, and cleaning, it was great to plop down on the couch in the clean bonus room!

Meredith was in the bathroom, when I thought I saw something. I hoped I had a floater in my eye, and willed myself to ignore it. 30 seconds later, my firmly attached retinas confirmed my fear…a little mouse stuck its face out from under the other end of our couch. (I’m itching typing this…and shuddering!) I screamed and ran outside to tell Brandon, who was on a 26 foot ladder hanging lights. He had the nerve to tell me I should be upstairs in the bonus room making sure the mouse didn’t go anywhere. Surely he was kidding.

Here’s a little back story: Our house sits in the middle of two empty lots. When we built, basements were being dug as fast as the excavators could get here. Now, I don’t expect to be baking welcome cookies for the next five years. Anyway, we’re in a fairly rural area, (I know some of you are laughing at that statement.) we have empty lots on both sides of us, and it’s cold…so mice find their way into our garage every once in awhile. Evidently, with the prolonged opening of the doors yesterday while Brandon and Alex hung lights, one thought he smelled turkey and came in for a look see.

When Brandon came inside, he and Alex turned our bonus room into a real life version of Mouse Trap. They had tubs turned sideways, baby gates set up, and a huge piece of drywall propped up by my vacuum cleaner. I took one look at the mess and left to buy mousetraps. I bought both glue boards and traditional. Brandon tried everything to catch the mouse and two hours later, I got brave enough to go in and check on him.
Brandon was sitting on a stool watching that darn mouse go from one trap to the other nibbling peanut butter. I don’t know how he managed to do it, but he licked four traps clean without so much as a single snap. We left the barricade, closed doors, sealed openings and went to bed. We still don’t have our mouse and I’m living in fear of seeing it again. To top it off, Brandon has to leave tomorrow morning for work. Sunday departures are rare and of all weeks!
As soon as Meredith wakes up from her nap, we’re off to buy poison. If the mouse doesn’t eat it, and I see it again, I might.
Update! I am happy to report we CAUGHT the mouse. Here's hoping he was alone!

No comments: