Thursday, November 20, 2008


“Listen up, people, I’m goin’ rogue!”

If you talked to me about this time last year, it was probably a less-than-pleasant conversation laced with complaints about school parties. I was the Head Room Mom for our school for eight weeks. I buckled under the “stress” and quit. Seriously, it was ugly. I know that sounds ridiculous, but trust me, people mean business when it comes to celebrating holidays at school. I had no idea what I was getting into.

If you went to elementary school with me or at any time during the 80’s, you probably remember wearing your Halloween costume to school, loading up on cupcakes and drinking orange drink donated by Prairie Farms, which contained 0% fruit juice. For those of you whose kids aren't yet in school, don’t expect to see anything resembling what we knew as a party when you volunteer to serve as room mom.

See, I’ve been waiting to be a room mom since my mom laughed when I asked her to be mine. My mom has her strengths, but working in a classroom full of children isn’t one of them. Being a room mom was one of the objectives listed on my stay-at-home mom resume. I couldn’t wait. Like a moron, I jumped in feet first last year and thought I could run the whole show. How hard could it be?! I worked in HR for crying out loud, I’m used to dealing with tantrums.

Little did I know, parents take these parties very seriously and our principal takes his job even more seriously. Unfortunately for both groups, they have different goals. The parents want to throw their kids’ classrooms a P-A-R-T-Y with Cupcakes, and Games, and a Take Home Craft. Our principal wants to ensure everyone is treated with complete equality and that translates into no one having any fun. Each classroom must play the same game, make the same 25 cent craft, and eat the same peanut-free, nutrionally-sound snack. We don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.

I don’t agree with creating some environment where all things are completely equal anymore than I like the idea of spreading the wealth, but in a sense that’s what I’m trying to do. Some of these kids are probably having a rough year. A school party may be one of their few chances for fun and joy this time of year. Our principal is so concerned about one kid getting more than the other that he prevents any of the kids from experiencing holiday fun. Welcome to the new world order.

Last year, I did adhere to the mandate I was given. I was a newbie and didn’t want to rock the boat. Our sweet kindergarten teacher was also new and I didn’t want her to get benched for going along with my shenanigans. Plus, I was tired after spending days on end fielding calls and e-mails trying to explain why Mrs. Johnson couldn’t bring in her Rudolph Rocks! CD for the Christmas limbo. I caved and went with the lame games. The kids ate their snack and then asked when we were having cupcakes…or when the party was even starting for that matter.

This year I have a new found sense of bravado and a teacher who looks like a pixie, but isn’t afraid of a bear. We discussed the Fall party and made plans. It’s a “Fall Party” instead of a Halloween party. They purposely moved our Fall Break this year to fall on Halloween so we didn’t have anyone show up to school dressed as a killer bee. We decided we’d stick with the games chosen for us, but we are bending the rules and I’m bringing frosting-covered goodness. Power to the little people!

3 comments:

Penny Pickles said...

oh girl just wait until we are in middle school - we'll rule the PTO world!

StephTate said...

Amen! Since when is cheese and fruit a 1st grade party anyway! They have their whole lives to have boring parties like that as adults! Were this many kids allergic to peanuts when we were in school? Cooper is dying for PBJ!

Sara Alexander said...

You are such a rebel! Did you use organic frosting? Hahaha.