Monday, November 24, 2008

Thankful the steam cleaner stayed in the closet.

The one thing I don’t miss about having a baby in our house is sudden wake-up cries in the middle of the night. Saturday morning around 5:00 a.m. ---which I realize is no where near the middle of the night, but still it was startling—Alex called out in the voice he saves for illness. I shot out of bed like a light assuming I was in for an hour of cleaning.

I was partially right. The poor little guy did get sick, but made it to the bathroom. I think that’s a first in our house and I was half-way compelled to write it in his baby book. I would have to keep a baby book for that to actually happen. So, after a glass of water, teeth brushing, and sanitizing of the bathroom, we all went back to bed. All was well for the rest of the weekend, but Alex’s appetite was a quarter of what it is normally. He opted to stay home from school today because he’s worried about “rumbling” in his stomach. I can’t say I blame him considering I can hear it from a foot away. Something tells me he’ll be fine by tomorrow, because tomorrow is the Thanksgiving party at school. Let’s hope he doesn’t go only to watch his mother be carted away for a snack violation.

We spent our entire weekend decorating for Christmas. Five of the trees are up, and we’re arguing over the sixth. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say our sunroom is at capacity with a play kitchen, two shelving units full of toys, and a playhouse. Brandon doesn’t agree and wants to add a tree into the mix. So far I’m winning, but I’m sure my first solo trip to the grocery store will cost me my lead.

Brandon is working from home this week instead of fighting Thanksgiving fliers. The kids are completely confused and I’m going to have to keep the house orderly all week. We’ll see how this goes.

I’m not looking forward to grocery shopping today. The week of Thanksgiving is always brutal. I swear some people don’t shop for food all year until this week. The same crowd waits for a forecasted snow to buy bread, milk, and eggs.

Meredith and I are off to ballet, tap, and Hobby Lobby. I promised her we could change her tree ribbon to pink. She came unhinged over the suggestion of red and white. I also have library books to return and I need to stop by Kinko’s to enlarge a turkey for tomorrow’s rousing game of Pin the Turkey on the Feather. If I don’t loose my patience it will be a miracle.

Uh oh, here’s a bad sign. I just called the attendance line at school and it was busy…four times in a row. Either everyone left for vacation early and is calling in to say their children are “sick” or Alex picked up a little something extra at the Thanksgiving feast last Friday.

No comments: