Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Have I mentioned my son is a poor speller?


A poor speller with a good heart.

I wasn’t feeling well and went to bed hours earlier than my usual time on Sunday. Alex wrote me a note to help me feel better. I believe in the healing power of laughter. I feel fine.

Today was a little nuts. My Kramer clock woke me at 6:42 a.m. I laid in bed debating whether or not I really wanted or needed to shower early. I am fully aware that a change in my routine probably means I’m forfeiting a shower all together. I convinced myself that I’d drive Meredith to school, come home and workout and then shower.

Right.

As I walked out the door, I remembered I had Mom’s in Touch this morning. “So, I’ll come home from M.I.T., workout, and shower!”

Right.

I left Mom’s in Touch in kind of a crappy mood. We’re supposed to pray for our kids, the staff, and the school. Instead I felt like we were discussing issues that are hot buttons for me. Vaccines, ways to foster dependence on the generosity of others, our screwy PTO, etc. I’m just getting old and crotchety and I think I’ve had my fill for awhile. Plus, there are a lot of kids all of the sudden and I volunteered to host for December. Seven trees and a dozen rowdy children doesn’t seem like such a good idea anymore.

By the time I got home I knew the workout was scrapped, but I had plenty of time to shower, meal plan, and grocery shop. Jill E. called with a better offer. I met her for lunch completely unshowered and with a zitty face. I was a sight to behold, but I’m at an age where I realize most people don’t have time or interest to notice I’m sans makeup.

I mentally meal planned as I shopped. I’m also at an age where I can pretty much do anything with a pound of ground beef or a few frozen chicken breasts, so I winged it. I restocked my pantry and we should be set for a couple of weeks. The less time I spend running to the grocery, the better. We may develop coronary disease from all the ground beef and mushroom soup, but I won’t have to shop.

Tomorrow I’m going to be on the ball. Really. I mean it. I’m setting my Kramer clock now.


No comments: