Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Super Hero in a yellow coat

It seems redundant to rehash Alex’s aversion to studying for spelling tests. To recap, it’s slightly less painful than a week in a Thai prison. More than once, I thought one of us was going to wind up in the psychiatric unit. Alex’s reaction to me saying “All right, let’s study your words,” was unlike anything I’ve ever seen. It was explosive.

I say “was” in the hopes that this week wasn’t a fluke. It could be, but I don’t want to know that yet.

I was having coffee with my friend Colleen and crying into my latte about how much I dread Thursday nights. Even with new TV to watch, it was nearly unbearable. Colleen has a daughter the same age as Alex. They get along swimmingly, but are opposites when it comes to behavior and academia.

M is sweet and studious, and a disciplined gymnast so I find it incredibly hard to believe she ever gave her mother static about studying for spelling. Colleen probably just wanted my tearful fit to be over, but she claimed they once had spelling test issues too and that she could help. I didn’t know if she was pulling my leg or not, but I narrowed in on the “help” part.

Colleen ingeniously suggested I have Alex write the words using different media. Shaving cream, finger paint, etc. I used to do this stuff with him in preschool, why didn’t I think to try this now?! Then she mentioned that M really likes to write her words in a pan filled with table salt. That was it. It was new, slightly strange, and carried the risk of making a disaster out of the kitchen floor. Alex would LOVE it.

All week I told him I had a special surprise way to write his words. He would have to willingly write his words on paper so he would be prepared. I really dragged it out and built suspense. He wrote his words on the bus on the way home...independently. When I plopped the pan full of salt in front of him, I cringed as he started writing words with hands that have hang nails on every other finger. I grabbed a pencil and told him to use the eraser end. Stinging and hysterical fit averted.

I held my breath and handed him his list. He was in Heaven. He was ready for me to test him in 15 minutes. The child didn’t miss one word. Normally, at our first pass he misses a minimum of seven words. Then we spend the next hour arguing about how many times he’ll re-write the erroneous words. Good times!!! The salt was magic. He begged me to continue writing words and testing him. He even asked Brandon to test him. Oil and Water normally don’t do homework together.

As I put him to bed Thursday night, he said “I wish I could just fast forward through sleeping and go in and take the test. I’m completely confident.” I fainted in his room. For two reasons: 1.) I couldn’t believe he was excited to take a spelling test. 2.) I’ve never heard Alex use the phrase, “I’m confident.”

I’ve tried with every ounce of my being to instill confidence in Alex. He tends to doubt his abilities on things that don’t come easily or might possibly turn out disappointingly. It’s his defense mechanism. I know it well, some might say intimately. Who knew all it would take to bolster his confidence was a pan of salt. He’ll be a great speller AND goiter free!

2 comments:

Sara Alexander said...

Way to go Alex!!

michelleb said...

Good job Alex!! Les, when he is gets tired of practicing in salt, have him go to spellingcity.com - he can enter his weekly words - then there are games, and tests for him to have fun with all week!