Sunday, October 11, 2009

Tomb of Doom

There are times when I really wish I could be taking pictures of what’s going on around me. Sometimes it’s just not possible. Sometimes I simply don’t want to drag my giant camera around. And…Sometimes Brandon grimaces and rolls his eyes when he notices the camera on my lap as we’re driving to an event.

Last night it was a combination of all three.

Our new neighbors are sponsors of the Children’s Museum’s Haunted House. They were invited to the preview party and asked us to go. I rarely turn down an invitation anywhere, but this would even better because I could take the kids to the Haunted House without waiting in line. I’ll do almost anything to avoid a line, including grocery shopping at 5:00 a.m.

First of all, the Haunted House, which is the Tomb of Doom this year, is incredible. It’s done on a volunteer basis and the Guild is in charge of the whole shebang. I’ve been asked if I might like to serve on the guild, and while I would love to; it’s all I can do to commit to volunteering in a classroom a couple of hours a month. The guild women spend 36 hours each during the month of October standing around in the Haunted House scaring people.

I was in a Jaycees’ Haunted House once in college. The first hour or two was fun. By the third hour I was bored and no longer felt like doing a scary moan, so I left through a whole in the wall. Evidently, I’m non-committal in the after life as well.

But back to the Haunted House…the hours the volunteers put in blows my mind. We went through during the lights-on hours for the er,…kids. I’m glad we did because I didn’t scream and/or wet my pants and we were able to see the incredible detail of the Tomb of Doom. Meredith touched every rat, spider, skeleton, and mummy along the way. So, if you want a completely detailed account you can ask her. Alex wanted to go through after they turned out the lights, but Brandon was ready to leave or was a ninny. Likely both.

Aside from the Haunted House, there was dinner, crafts for the kids, face painting, and a sundae bar. The Museum was open too which meant we pretty much had run of the place. Fantastic! It was really funny to see people walking around with beer and wine in the middle of the Children’s Museum, but I’ve always thought a guy with a drink cart could make a killing in there.

They also had a live band and I don’t need to tell you that Meredith rocked out to the “Graveyard Stompers.” She was dancing like a maniac in her bee costume. A toddler dressed as a fairy spotted her and they danced together for a loooooooong time. Then, the bee’s brother Darth Vader showed up and busted out some serious dance moves. I’ve never seen anything quite like it. This is one of those situations where I was proud of Alex for really taking a risk and enjoying himself completely, but I cringed for his future!

We didn’t get home until 10:00 p.m. I told Meredith to put on her jammies and I would be up to tuck her in. I went up five minutes later to find her face up, arms up on her bed, blinds open, lights on, mouth open and snoring. Whose future should I be worried about?!

No comments: