Monday, October 5, 2009

We're saving for therapy.

I wish I could be one of those mothers who allows her child to wear whatever they feel like wearing on a whim. I’ve read that it’s great for their self esteem. My children will likely need counseling as tightly as I control their wardrobe choices.

I’ve been pretty lucky. Both of my kids like to “look nice.” Probably because I’ve never given them much of a choice; and partially I’ve just lucked out. Neither one of them has ever shown remote interest in wearing character shirts. ---Thank you Jesus! They’ve never asked for light up shoes.

Alex was thrilled beyond words a few years ago when I came home with a size 4 suit. Recently, Alex noticed S&K Menswear was having a sale and he suggested we take advantage of the “buy two suits, get one free deal.” When I scoffed he said, “MOM! HELLOOOO?! I’m in need of a new suit. Mine’s too small. What am I going to wear if I get invited to a wedding or someone dies?!”

Meredith will negotiate extra outfits while we’re shopping and can break my heart with, “They’re all just so beautiful. Do I really have to pick ONE?” It’s like “Sophie’s Choice” right in the middle of Gymboree.

As long as Alex and Meredith allow me to dress them, I’m going to. I know there will be horrible battles over belly shirts and holey jeans soon enough, but I’m filing away those anxieties with driver’s tests and “the talk.”

What I do encourage them to do, Meredith needs the least amount of encouragement, is to wear whatever they want around the house. For Alex this usually means a high water pair of jeans and a sweatshirt he’s had since he was four. Meredith is a little more “creative.” Her bedroom floor is almost always covered in tulle and sequins. Errant purple and pink feathers make our hallways look like a slaughter house for diseased birds. You just never know.

Brandon is home this week and I heard him say, “WOW! Meredith, that’s QUITE an outfit! Go show your mother.”

I agree. Can you imagine THIS answering your door?!

1 comment:

Penny Pickles said...

okay so I am TOTALLY the mom who would let her kid go to the store in that outfit, of course I've also been known to shop with spiderman, darth vader and let my daughter play football in a wedding dress - I love Merdi's style - go get'em girl!